• You are not logged in.

Key bindings layout theory?

• Started by esbena
    • 3 Replies:

I'm using the ergonomic emacs keybinding layout (modified to fit Colemak of course)[http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html]. Which excels in being keyboard layout neutral layout.

Does there exist any other theories/discussions about key bindings besides the 8 design principles in the link above?  (also a valuation of these principles like for ex. carpalx does would be really nice!)

-

Also a discussion of the consequences of moving the modifier keys (ALT, CTRL, SHIFT) to other positions would be nice. As these are used a lot in keybindings.
    Especially moving the CTRL key on a standard physical keyboard to ALT GR (the one right to the space button), allowing for thumbs only usage of CTRL and ALT.

That'd be interesting. Seems to me that many on this forum (myself included) use Vim instead of emacs, but don't let that hinder you! I use 'extended' key bindings for Windows, which involve much use of modifiers.

Not sure if there is a good solution though... short of getting a Kinesis board. I certainly do need my AltGr key.

Maybe the Vim way appeals more to touch typists?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

The program in question doesn't matter.
    The emacs bindings just inspired me to try to remap other programs as well (like the Eclipse IDE and a Unix Shell).

-

If this is the right forum for such a discussion, I will post some of my own theories soon, in the hope of a good discussion.

First of all I am interested in improving the use of the modifier keys. To see what my preferences for moving them are read my post and follow both links there.