• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • How does Colemak achieves Backspace and Caps Lock swapping in Windows?

How does Colemak achieves Backspace and Caps Lock swapping in Windows?

• Started by spremino
    • 2 Replies:

Hello,

I'm trying to swap Caps Lock and Backspace via registry (using SharpKeys) and it works when I press the Caps Lock key alone. OTOH, Control + Caps Lock does not work reliably as Control + Backspace replacement. Some applications process it (for instance: Wordpad, Firefox), whilst other don't  (for instance: Notepad prints a weird character). Has anyone experienced similar issues with the remapping made by Colemak? Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Dvorak typist here.  Please take my comments with a grain of salt.

The registry method should be very robust. As I understand it, it is processed right after the driver software and replaces a 'physical' scan code from the keyboard with a 'virtual' one - after which the scan code is moved into the layout API to determine what VirtualKey and consequently what - if any - glyph/deadkey/whatever to send on. Hence nothing should get past it and everything should work as expected downstream.

I think Notepad will print a weird character when you press Ctrl+Backspace on any computer! Notepad is a cheap hack of a program. Check it out...

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

I think Notepad will print a weird character when you press Ctrl+Backspace on any computer! Notepad is a cheap hack of a program. Check it out...

You're right! It doesn't depend on Backspace being swapped.

Dvorak typist here.  Please take my comments with a grain of salt.

• Index
      • Technical
      • How does Colemak achieves Backspace and Caps Lock swapping in Windows?