• You are not logged in.

Language system tray icon in Windows XP?

• Started by joelpt
    • 4 Replies:

I am not able to get the system tray icon indicating your current language choice (En, Co) to appear in Windows XP. I can get the language (tool)bar to show, but that's not really what I'm looking for.

Is it possible to get this system tray icon to show in XP?

Thanks

Joel

If you have different languages (not just keyboard setups for one language!) active, the icon will show by default - unless you've deactivated it in the Input Languages dialogue, under "Language bar...". This goes for XP as well as several other Windows versions.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

go to start > control panel > Languages tab > Details > then under Keyboard you'll see Colemak. If that's the only layout you see, then add more by pressing Add. Once you add the Language Bar will allow you to select whether to show this bar in the taskbar or hide it. You can also make keyboard shortcut to switch between them.

Last edited by AGK (23-Feb-2007 15:04:40)

Thanks DreymaR, AGK,

When I'm visiting this site I see a blue square 'Co' icon as the site's "tab" icon. Is there any way in XP to make this same Co icon show up when I'm in Colemak keyboard mode?

Your advice worked, but so far I have only been able to get the blue icons of the different languages to show up (EN, AR, etc.)

Joel

I haven't found a way to make WinXP show different icons when changing keyboard layouts - only the default letter codes showing languages. So that's a no, I guess.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***