• You are not logged in.

Where's that key??

• Started by kqr
    • 6 Replies:

I've been trying to learn colemak every now and then, because I think I'll benefit greatly from it out of various reasons. The problem I come back to every time though, is that when I try to type (now we're talking about speeds around the 20-ish WPM) I freeze in my tracks, and I just can't figure out where that key I'm looking for is situated.

I think this problem might be even more pronunciated as I tried to learn dvorak a little earlier, and sometimes when I try to type using colemak i "fall back" to where the key would be on dvorak. (And no, I'm natively typing on QWERTY, unfortunately.)

So my real question here is: What is the best way to completely unlearn a layout (I want to get rid of that d*mn dvorak!) and what's the best (fastest) way to learn where the keys are on colemak? I guess I could stick to a printout, but I don't like having to take my eyes off the screen every now and then.

I used a screen element - either the background image (you could minimize windows to have a quick peek when needed) or an on-screen image like the one you get in Portable Keyboard Layout (which you could customize to any image you like if you want to). Maybe that's more acceptable than a printout to you... or maybe it isn't.

Other than that, training is nice and the most fun way to train is typing games. That'll help with learning the key positions.

I wouldn't be above getting Colemak stickers for my board while learning, either.

I agree that learning it from Dvorak is a bit of a bitch. But I think it was worth it for me at least.

Last edited by DreymaR (05-Jan-2010 16:08:35)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

As soon as I get the hang of *kind of* where the keys are I'll try setting the background image. That was actually kind of intelligent, and I hadn't thought of that. I'll have a look after typing games which are somewhat semi-suited for colemak. Thank you!

What I actually used was a 'web element'. In WinXP at least, you'll find it from the Display Properties (right-click on the desktop) -> Desktop -> Customize Desktop... [button] -> Web -> New [Button] -> Browse [Button] -> select your image file. I put it in a corner of the screen and locked it there.

Unfortunately (in this case) I'm in Mac OS X...

Would be interesting if you could make a small keyboard image on your dock then.  :)

It turns out I *could* type without an image/printout just after 2 days, and the third day I was approximately as fast with as without the printout.