• You are not logged in.

Awesome slogan idea!

• Started by NeoMenlo
  • 93 Replies:
  • Shai
  • Administrator

I really like the "Colemak: designed for your fingers" slogan, I think it sends the right message, and it's catchy enough.

I just want to clear up that public domain is even less restrictive than the BSD license, you can do whatever you want with it, which of course makes it suitable for inclusion in any type of software. Software like SQLite is public domain, and there's no problem of it being included in open source software. The good thing about public domain software is that it is guaranteed to be 100% compatible with all licenses and all types of software. From the Wikipedia Free software article:

The FSF categorizes licenses in the following ways:
* Copyleft licenses, the GNU General Public License being the most prominent. The author retains copyright and permits redistribution and modification under terms to ensure that all modified versions remain free for as long as the author wishes.
* BSD-style licenses, so called because they are applied to much of the software distributed with the BSD operating systems. The author retains copyright protection solely to disclaim warranty and require proper attribution of modified works, but permits redistribution and modification in any work, even proprietary ones, again, for as long as the author wishes.
* Public domain software - the author has abandoned the copyright. Since public-domain software lacks copyright protection, it may be freely incorporated into any work, whether proprietary or free. Importantly, software released thus goes completely out of control of the author, who, even if he subsequently so desires, cannot impose any restriction on its use.

Creating a better and easier installer for Linux is my first priority at the moment. Any help would be appreciated, of course.

geeeze, "slightly elitist"?

Some of us brain dead masses have very good reasons NOT to use Linux. 

I think making assumptions about what kind of person might adopt Colemak and then trying to cater to one particular crowd based on those assumptions would be a mistake.

Shai's public domain approach makes a lot of sense.

Whether Linux, Mac, Windows, etc.  adopters will always be in the minority regardless of how perfect or not perfect the slogan.

Last edited by keyboard samurai (10-Jun-2007 18:32:40)

I agree fully. I admire Shai's willingness to let this innovation take wings on its own by using the Public Domain license; it is a brave and admirable move. And I agree that we should keep things separate. A good Linux compliance is a great boon but attempting to "sell" Colemak as a Linux-oid thing would be a mistake in my opinion. At the very least, in that case I'd have to try and get all of you to speak Esperanto and do history reenactment as well!   ;)

I admire Linux but use Windows both for my own gaming purposes and because that's what I get at my 8,000-employee workplace. Call me brain dead because of that, and I fart in your general direction. (I don't think I was actually called brain dead anywhere, in a legal sense at least, but it was close enough.)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

...Ok, very elitist, sorry.

I guess I meant it more this way...  You know what Linux is, and you have evaluated it's use relative to your own situation.  I must give you credit for that, and I hope that it's current shortcomings will be taken care of in a thorough and satisfactory way for you in the near future.  I was referring to those that never went that far, you know, who took what they were given and never questioned it, because qwerty is part of what they were given, and not questioning things sort of precludes someone trying to find a better keyboard layout.

I myself run a dual boot system, and have a few reasons for not completely ditching windows just yet too.  I guess my general attitude on that post indicated otherwise.  It was late, so my brain wasn't at peak performance, liquid cooled though it be.  In the future, I should try to remember to use stronger disclaimers on my posts ;)

...and yeah, I guess the entire BSD thing was overboard too.  But I still like that "Colemak: It's what the doctor ordered." slogan.  I hope it wasn't the decongestants that did that to me...  You know, I'ma go back and read my post again...

Oh, wow.  Sorry about that.  If you could see the post time on that, I think it was around 2am.  I'll try not to do that again.  Many apologies.

As for helping you with the linux installer, well, I can test it and stuff, but I really don't know any useful scripting languages...

Not to go too far off topic, but Esperanto was horribly designed.  Have I mentioned the language I made?  It doesn't have any words yet, but...  If anyone cares, just email me.  I'll spare you.  I rant too much already.  You know, I think it may be because I just love typing in this layout.  Props, Shai ;)  Colemak: typing is fun again.

How about "Colemak: The QWERTY & Dvorak Hybrid"  since good parts from both of these layouts were taken to create Colemak, meaning many of the keys are still the same as qwerty, while dvorak's idea of having the most used keys closer and easier to reach. Also this explains what Colemak is all about, since people know what these 2 layouts mean so they get an idea of what colemak is.

Last edited by AGK (11-Jun-2007 03:13:38)

They have one of those.  It's called qwerak.  Colemak is more than that.

It is the elegance of Dvorak, for qwerty users.  But it is not just a hybrid.  A synergy, perhaps?

ethana2 said:

They have one of those.  It's called qwerak.  Colemak is more than that.

It is the elegance of Dvorak, for qwerty users.  But it is not just a hybrid.  A synergy, perhaps?

I didn't know of qwerak..yeah in that case synergy would be a more appropriate word.

Heh, I was browsing around when I encountered a blog post about Colemak versus Dvorak. The consistent mention of Colemak 'roles' (sic) and the phrase 'high rolls' instantly had me thinking up a few silly slogans. Just for the fun of it!  :)

- High roller? Colemak is your safest bet ever!

- Colemak: A high roll is your saving throw against the RSI monster!

- Colemak: A better roll model for the new keyboard generations!

- Once you get rollin' with Colemak, you'll want no other wheels!

Oh me, oh my (as usual)...

Here's my winning suggestion:

Colemak, the keyboard mack! :)

It would be somewhat witty if you were able to type the slogan using only the home row.

Since you can't type 'Colemak' on the home row, I don't think that's much of a point really. And I wouldn't want a layout that focuses on typing something cool somewhere on the board (like that awful 'XPeRT' layout does!) because then it seems vain and silly to me.

Nono, I mean fitting the slogan after the keyboard, not the opposite of course.

Well, yes obviously - just saying that it might arouse suspicion and that it wouldn't fully work given the 'Colemak'-not-on-the-homerow issue.

I know this is too long for Shai's taste, but I wanted to get it out there.

QWERTY: Designed to work for your typewriter.
Colemak: Designed to work for you.

Does "Home sweet home row" sound silly?

``Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.''
~ Albert Einstein

TaylanUB said:

Does "Home sweet home row" sound silly?

A little. But in a good way.

Some of these slogans should be on Tee Shirts too. :P http://www.cafepress.com/keyboardtees

Thank you for sharing, this is great!