• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Experiences
  • adapting to both colemak and kinesis contour layout simultaneously?

adapting to both colemak and kinesis contour layout simultaneously?

• Started by urlwolf
    • 4 Replies:

Note: this is a partial repost from here.
    http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=7271

I just realized this would be a better forum to ask...

I just did the hi-games test on a normal QWERTY keyboard, and got 42 WPM on a standard keyboard.
    ----
    I'm not a touch-typer.
    I got the kinesis contour, and this keyboard of course has a particular kayout. The main differences are the arrow keys on separated hands, and the thumb delete and modifiers.

Learning all chords (e.g., alt-tab, copy-paste) is challenging.

The first thing that becomes evident is that it's really efficient only when doing touch-typing.

So, once I set out to learn touch-typing, I also decided to invest in the colemak layout.

Most people learn alternative layout "at night" while sticking to QWERTY by day to stay productive. In my case, fast hunt-and-peck QWERTY after 10 yrs programming.

So in my case I'm learning all chords idiosincracies (e.g., alt-tab, copy-paste) plus colemak.

My questions:

* Should I use the kinesis all day long to get the chords etc even though I'm doing hunt and pecking?
        * Has anyone tried to do this (kinesis + colemak)? I think DreymaR has...
        * Has anyone tried the cold turkey approach?

Any recommendations from anyone who has dealt with the kinesis learning curve?

Around here, some people prefer doing it all cold turkey, massive all-in-one-go. Others like to take baby steps - I even devised the Tarmac, a transitional Colemak layout to help people who feel it would be easier to do it small steps at a time. So I can't recommend anything except trying to figure out what would be best for you, personally. Some here have given thought to how it might be better to absorb smaller pieces of info at a time.

No, I haven't tried a Kinesis but I'd like to try one. At least, I've finally gotten the chance to type on IBM M and Unicomp boards.  :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I'm using the Kinesis + Colemak. I didn't find that the Kinesis took particularly long to get used to (maybe two weeks).

I don't know what the implications would be to learn Colemak and the Kinesis at the same time.

• Shai
    • Administrator

I would recommend switching both at the same time, as it will make easier for the brain to associate different physical keyboard with a different keyboard layout.

Old thread, but I have done exactly that (Kinesis Contoured + Colemak), and it has actually been a PLEASURE. Never thought that is something I would say about typing.

An Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkey From Hell typing with Colemak saved my life!

• Index
      • Experiences
      • adapting to both colemak and kinesis contour layout simultaneously?