• You are not logged in.

just restarted

• Started by d4m4s74
    • 4 Replies:

Hi everyone
    A while ago on Speedsolving.com I found a thread about keyboard layouts, and a lot of people recommended colemak. I tried it, I learned it, I gave up.
    Well, I started playing typeracer  and I found I was slow. just 80wpm.
    so I'm back.

I set my keyboard to colemak and I I immediately started typing. Sure, I made some mistakes, but I knew where the symbols are!
    I'm back to 15wpm, but this time I won't give up.

wish me "luck"

I will have to change some shortcuts in Awesome though. Those are based on location on keyboard, not the symbol itself.
    anyway, bye

good luck!

don't give up. i was slower than you when i made the switch. now i can type at around 100wpm which is still not that fast but hopefully i will keep getting better. i switched to the mirror colemak layout that was recommended by one of the other users on this board because i didn't like the colemak ergonomics on laptops and standard keyboards. best decision ever!

good luck!

Last edited by even.slower (16-Apr-2010 19:24:48)
    even.slower said:

don't give up. i was slower than you when i made the switch. now i can type at around 100wpm which is still not that fast but hopefully i will keep getting better. i switched to the mirror colemak layout that was recommended by one of the other users on this board because i didn't like the colemak ergonomics on laptops and standard keyboards. best decision ever!

100 wpm is very decent!  How long ago did you switch? (after +two years on Colemak, I'm still at 75-80 wpm)

And did you switch to the mirrored layout at once, or to normal Colemak first and to the mirrored one later?

ghen said:
    even.slower said:

100 wpm is very decent!  How long ago did you switch? (after +two years on Colemak, I'm still at 75-80 wpm)

And did you switch to the mirrored layout at once, or to normal Colemak first and to the mirrored one later?

i used colemak for about 6 months and matched my original speed of about 70 to 75wpm. i dont remember exactly. what i do remember is thinking at one point that my forearms and wrists were burning up and feeling restricted. someone suggested trying that reversed mirror layout and it took me about 9 months of practicing to get up to about 95wpm. i hit a wall at 75wpm for a while. to get over that i started practicing short bursts at 100% accuracy. then once in a while i would try the 1min and 2min runs and eventually i kept creeping up. try that and see if it helps you. on hi-games typing test, i can get up to about 120wpm for 20-25sec and then I hit 1 mistake and it snowballs and i just quit and have to start over. but my sustained speed is roughly 100wpm now.

Last edited by even.slower (16-Apr-2010 23:02:15)