• You are not logged in.

QWERTY once in a while?

• Started by AGK
    • 3 Replies:

After completing the beginner lessons, you might still want to practice QWERTY a few minutes each day so you won't lose your QWERTY typing skills.

I found the above quote on colemak's page "Learn". I personally haven't touched QWERTY since I've switched. But if I do type in QWERTY a sentence or two on someone else's computer, I look at the keyboard, since I no longer remember the locations of many keys. So does anyone actually practices with QWERTY once in a while to not forget it?

Last edited by AGK (18-Mar-2007 03:27:27)

I have an Intel Mac that I Boot Camp into Windows for gaming, and I use QWERTY then.  Sometimes I forget to swap my Apple keyboard around and end up typing character names that are complete gibberish, and I always have to look at the keys (but then, I never really did learn to touch type on a QWERTY, so that's not exactly new).  But when I sit down at someone else's computer to do some 'real' (ie not gaming) computer work, the lack of Colemak gives me a moment of slight panic.

I have 100 wpm with QWERTY and 45 WPM with Colemak.

I can't make the switch yet.

remember this ring:

f t g d s r p ; o y j n k e f

When using qwerty type " t y y s " to get " f o o d ."

This way there's nothing to confuse your motor-reflexes☺

Last edited by sorenk (18-Mar-2007 23:40:01)

"Things will get better despite our efforts to improve them" - Will Rogers
    "...even the dog doesn't think I'm a monster." - Humphrey Bogart in The Caine Mutiny (1954)