• You are not logged in.

Sandboxie - run any program, website you want without worry.

• Started by Jag02
    • 7 Replies:

hey guys, check this out and tell me what you think.

www.sandboxie.com

Sorry, I don't run windows, but it seems like an interesting tool :)

I have to say the name is very cheesy. And I'd prefer not only to "isolate" it on the hard drive, but rather run it as a complete virtual machine, if I was that paranoid.

FreeBSD jails <3

From what I hear and have experienced, it's a fairly useful tool and the reason to use it and not a complete virtual machine in some cases is that it's a lot lighter on system requirements. I didn't take to use it the way I had intended though, which was to portabilize applications. It doesn't have a stealth mode.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

the reason to use it and not a complete virtual machine in some cases is that it's a lot lighter on system requirements.

Operating system level virtualisation is not a complete emulation of a platform, but rather a clone of the host system, in a manageable and effective way. That allows you to run certain applications (take for instance a web server) in their own ‘jail,’ and if someone compromises it, or it goes bonkers and starts eating system resources, it can never interfere with things outside of it's jail. You just shut down the jail, or the virtual computer, or whatever you'd like to call it. That is an improvement over only jailing the hard drive resources, and that is also what I'm talking about.

Of course, for the casual Windows user, this might be better than nothing in certain cases.

And here I thought that Sandboxie provided just that kind of jail? It certainly does more than hard drive resources: It manages registry entries as well inside the sandbox, for instance. I think I've heard that people use it to test out computer viruses, which means it must at least manage everything that could leave a permanent mark!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

And here I thought that Sandboxie provided just that kind of jail? It certainly does more than hard drive resources: It manages registry entries as well inside the sandbox, for instance. I think I've heard that people use it to test out computer viruses, which means it must at least manage everything that could leave a permanent mark!

Sanboxie looks more similar to a chroot(8), not a jail.  With a jail, the entire operating system userland is emulated (the kernel is not).  You can give someone root access to a jail, and they can do anything they want to with it while never touching anything outside the jail.  As far as I can tell, Sandoxie just isolates everything while running processes concurrently on the same operating system.