• You are not logged in.

Issue with install on UK-language

• Started by Les
    • 9 Replies:

Hi,

I've just installed Colemak (Win7, 64bit) and am a little frustrated that it's come under the US-English language in the list of installed keyboards. In order to switch to Colemak, I have to change my language on the Language Bar rather than my keyboard.

My input languages list looks like this:
    EN. English (United Kingdom)
    - Keyboard
    - - United States-Dvorak
    - - United Kingdom
    EN. English (United States)
    - Keyboard
    - - Colemak (Caps lock unchanged)

Is there a way to get Colemak under English (United Kingdom)?

I can live with this for the purposes of learning Colemak but could be a show-stopper when it comes to spell-checking etc.

Les

I see the problem there. I take it you don't want to change any symbol placements (I'm from Norway and I've happily abandoned the hopeless symbol placements of the national layout for the more practical US ones myself), but only the nationality identifier.

To change the KLID (which is the Windows Keyboard Layout Identifier - one in a family of confusing identifiers such as HKL, CLID but I don't think we need to understand them at this point), I think you'll be best off downloading the MS Keyboard Layout Creator (MSKLC) from Microsoft and open your layout in that. Then you change the language from the settings, save and recompile your layout and install it instead of the old one (which I think you need to deactivate and then uninstall first). Now your new and improved install should put your layout under the desired LCID - or language/layout as it were.

I'd do it for you but I'm a tad stressed out at the moment. Let me know if you encounter problems.

Last edited by DreymaR (16-Aug-2010 08:40:16)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

If you go back into the add input language dialog, there will be a Colemak entry under English (United Kingdom) – you just have to select ‘Show more’.

If you're using a standard 105-key UK keyboard (with a \¦ key between left shift and z), the Colemak-UK layout might work out better for you, which you can find from here or here

lethalrocks said:

If you go back into the add input language dialog, there will be a Colemak entry under English (United Kingdom) – you just have to select ‘Show more’.

So there is! Do you know, I looked there before but must have been blind to the Colemak entry! Thanks though, this is exactly what I was after.

I'll probably have a go with the Colemak-UK layout next too.

@Dreymar - Once I've got to grips with the Colemak alphabet, I may play with MSKLC and hack the layout a bit. I think I'm going to miss Dvorak's hyphen location... Colemak has it so far away.

Thanks both!

You mean, QWERTY has the hyphen so far away! The point being, Colemak doesn't change the symbol key locations because for most people it'd be too much hassle to learn new locations for those and they're so rarely used that they won't affect typing speed (or comfort much).

When I switched from Dvorak, I missed the comma and period locations a bit initially. But then I realized that Dvorak had given them too good locations! In fact, the QWERTY 'E' position isn't quite as bad as some may think - the middle finger will easily reach that upper row location so I consider it nearly a home row position.

Same with the hyphen, I think. It'll annoy you for a while but then you won't mind. Or, if it keeps annoying you by all means make your own solution. To me, Colemak is the main letter block and doesn't really concern itself with what you do with the rest of your board. Also, the Colemak has a very good placement of the semicolon which is nice for programmers but also for dedicated users of language - maybe you'll start using that more as an alternative to hyphenation; I know I have!  ;)

All and every one of my own attempts at tweaking the positions of the symbol keys have ended with a retreat. In the end, what seemed like a good idea just wasn't worth the hassle.

Last edited by DreymaR (17-Aug-2010 07:45:52)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

You mean, QWERTY has the hyphen so far away!

Ah... of course, you're quite right :) I have become quite attached to Dvorak's punctuation arrangement, yet am happy with most of the Qwerty differences. I just expect the hyphen to be a pain as I've never learned to touch-type the top row -- except for wild stabs in the direction of the backspace key!

• Tym

I have the same issue, but in Windows 7 I can't find an add more dialogue anywhere.

Hi Tym,

The "show more" option is actually a tickbox in the list of available language inputs. So under English (United Kingdom) you'll have a United Kingdom keyboard ticked. Just under that, tick "show more" and then scroll to Colemak which you can tick. Then you can remove the US English one from the list!

• Tym

just to be clear because I still having trouble I'm in windows 7 Contol panel/Clock language and region/change keyboard or other input methods/ keyboard and languages tab/ change keyboards.  I can see English (United Kingdom) I cannot find an option with show more.

Tym,
    Maybe I'm a step ahead of you describing this, and you need to click the Add button??