• You are not logged in.

Arghhhh can't install under 98

• Started by vilem
    • 7 Replies:

I'm really mad at my windoze which i'm temporarily using right now, because it just won't let me install the Colemak layout. I tried all of the install versions, but they just don't work. My PC is set to german (i don't know how to set it to english!) but colemak doesn't work although the USA "QWERTY" layout is the only active one... When i change the layout to colemak, it tells me that the file can't be found, etc. The registry remapping does NOTHING. I'm in despair so help me, please!

Oh, yeah, it's a windoze 98 im using...

• Shai
    • Administrator

Only Colemak 1.0 supports Windows 98. Colemak 1.1 doesn't work with it. Registry remapping doesn't work either with these versions of Windows.

You need to run the file install.exe to install it on Windows 98. Make sure that the file Colemak.kbd is copied to your system directory (usually \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32). The installation is supposed to copy it, but if for some reason it doesn't get copied, you should copy it manually.

Maybe the AutoHotKey method would work too? It's a bit less of a "final solution" but it could get the job done?

Unless AHK runs poorly under Win98. I don't know.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Arghhh, dammit! F WINDOZE!
    It STILL doesn't work! i copied it directly into the SYSTEM32 folder... nothing happened though.
    And i've never use AHK before... i just want this crap to work, that's all!

i mean that win is crap, not colemak! :P

YAYYYY!!! It works now!!!
    I pasted it into the C/WINDOWS/SYSTEM folder and it works flawlessly now! even the caps deleting thingy works!!!

I've recently installed 98 in a virtual machine, and although I don't plan on typing a whole lot in it -I'd rather not have to revert to qwerty in it constantly, etc.

This thread mentions colemak 1.0 - but I can't find a link to it here.  So I did some blind typing at the address board and came across it here on this site:

https://colemak.com/pub/windows/Colemak-1.0.zip

Yes, it works in Windows98, I just ran install.exe, didn't need to copy any file anywhere.