• You are not logged in.

new to colemak

• Started by karbonphyber
    • 3 Replies:

hi all,

i'm typing this in colemak. not the fastest but i can feel the benefits immediately! this last sentence would've taken me 10secs to type in qwerty... ahhah good thing is i can still hahaahah the same! this has taken me 2mins to type.

i find that i tend to still want to type "S" from its original position hehehee

hi again,

leonard!

I hope your switch (if that is what you've planned) goes well. And yes, the s/r combination is something that most people have huge problems with in the beginning, but as soon as you grow used to it (might as well take a few months if you're unlucky) you'll feel the benefit of those being in their respective positions as well. :)

Last edited by kqr (12-Oct-2010 09:12:14)

no real plan. todays my second night on it. so far i have the home row down but its still unstable at times.

i'm a developer in c# so its goin to be a while. hahah

changed back to qwerty to type this. ahhahaha

what i meant was (see how learning something new affected my thought process?) ahhaha i normally type and watch something else like a movie, like now without much care for the positions and just churn the message out. hahah

anyways, i have a long way ahead with this colemak. i had heard about dvorak ages ago. i'm not new to computing, started since i was 12. i'm 31 now. haha so you can see that qwerty is deep set in my head.

i started looking at dvorak a few weeks ago just to try something new and increase my speed and reduce strain. i have 2 ergonomic keyboards, the 1000 and 4000 in the microsoft range. checked out the rest of the keyboards like the kinesis and others but found dvorak to be odd when coding so, just a few days ago i tried this keyboard selector, took a bit of code and pasted it in and it said Colemak. I trusted it and so far, it's not too hard to learn, unlike dvorak which i could've foreseen a tougher time.

colemak's logical and practical for c/c#/java curly brace developers!!! i endorse it!

ok, back to colemak. ahahhaha