• You are not logged in.

cant install colemak layout

• Started by mrvsr
    • 3 Replies:

Hi,

In my organisation I can not install colemak layout bcs of admin privileges and other restrictions.
    But I want to use colemak layout, how can I map my qwerty keyboard to colemak ( I dont have admin privileges).
    In languages I can see the US english  and US Dvorak layouts but not colemak
    I tried hotkeys etc., but could not successed. 
    Please help in mapping qwerty keyboard as colemak without installing any software .

Thanks.

In my organisation, I use Portable Keyboard Layout (PKL) extensively. Since it's portable software, you don't need admin privileges to run it. I put it in a directory on my computer (or in my network home area) and then I link to it in the Startup folder so it's automatically run for my user only. Works like a charm (unless your IT department are really nasty...).

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks  I could run PKL exe on my personal computer. Could you tell me how to start and stop this program because I cant stop without using task manager and end process, also I cant hide the layout screen. Is it safe to run on office laptop?

Last edited by mrvsr (08-Nov-2010 05:33:11)

Personally, I think it's safe but that depends on how strict your company policy is. You could compile it yourself from the available source code, but you'd have to trust the compiler (AutoHotkey) at least - unless you compile that too! (I think you could get the source code for AHK as well?). At any rate, I haven't had any kind of trouble with it and I've used it for years now.

In the pkl.ini file you can set hotkeys for stopping the program, suspending it and hiding/showing the layout screen. There's also an icon at the lower right (system tray) you can use. To start it... well, you double-click it or do what I said above?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***