• You are not logged in.

Which Shift?

• Started by AGK
    • 4 Replies:

Which shift do you guys use? The same one all the time or do you alternate proportional to the character to capatilize? I personally use the same one, but I know that's not really the correct way, so I'm trying to relearn to use the other method, but it's not as easy as I thought, still go back to the old ways when I'm not thinking about it.

It's not the correct way for proper fast touch typing. I do alternate, but I overuse the left Shift key by doing one-hand combos. I'm left-handed, maybe that's part of the explanation. Or it could be because I'm used to one-hand combos from gaming and keyboard+mouse use.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you really want to reach lightning-fast speeds.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I've been wondering about this myself. I only use the left shift. I, too, have been wondering if this is because I'm left-handed. It seems to be natural for me to use the left shift and not the right shift.

Right handed - 100% left shift.

What is proper use?
    Left shift for right hand character, right shift for left hand character?

padde said:

Right handed - 100% left shift.

What is proper use?
    Left shift for right hand character, right shift for left hand character?

yes, the above that you stated is proper, and that's how professional touch typists type. Actually typing shift with the other hand does make a lot of sense. Now I have to put it to practice and forget about my old habit of 100% left shift use....

actually, for more solid proof, see any of the typing tutor programs and pay attention to which shift flashes on the virtual keyboards.

Last edited by AGK (04-Apr-2007 04:42:36)