• You are not logged in.

United States - Colemak

• Started by FearedBliss
    • 2 Replies:

This is just a cleaner version of the default Colemak but I removed all the multilanguage support for US users who have no need for them.

I created this layout with Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4. The MKLC kbh.h file in /inc/ has been modified to remap caps lock to backspace. So you no longer need to hack the registry to get that feature. It will also remap the caps lock back to original form if you switch the layout to lets say QWERTY.

The default template that I used for the layout was by loading the default QWERTY layout that Windows brings and changing the different keys into Colemak. This preserves any extra functions that Microsoft made for the OS in Control and any other settings.

Just run the setup.exe to install, whether you are on 32 or 64 bit. I have also included the "Clear remapping.reg" in the /utilities/ folder for people that have remapped already.

http://rapidshare.com/files/417518776/Colemak.7z

MD5: 3AEF2CB153F74CF00313BED4C495D339

rapidshare says that it can be downloaded 10 times.

You should mention that they'll need an unzipping program like 7-Zip or PeaZip to open the file. Not everybody knows that.

Otherwise, I think it's sad that US users don't think they need accents. How drôle. How passé. ;)

Last edited by DreymaR (07-Sep-2010 07:38:43)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Even if you will genuinely never use a single accented character, why would you need to remove them? I mean, they're not in the way. There are no dead keys in Colemak. You wouldn't even know they were there unless you started poking around while holding Alt Gr.

They're not things I used that often, but it's certainly handy to have access to these characters. Simple words like café are suddenly typable!