• You are not logged in.

Backspace repeate linux mint

• Started by nO_LAG
    • 7 Replies:

Hey all, I use linux mint and it does not fix the problem that the capslock backspace does not repeat.  It is funny because I read that Ubuntu fixed it but I still need to go to terminal each time I log in and type xset r 66.  The other funny thing is at the login screen it does repeate if it is set to colemak.  Any solutions?

No it actually does the same with ubuntu, i just went to the 'Startup Applications', and added a command for xset r 66, I think it won't be any different on mint.

Hope that works for you.

As Mint is based on Ubuntu I don't see why it would differ.  Other than Ubuntu maybe being a little ahead (naturally).

I don't know why, it was only in the latest version that Ubuntu aparently fixed this.  The oddest thing I think is that when I go to log in it repeates.  If someone knows how to make a file that will execute the command xset r 66 at boot it would help a lot!  I googled it but nothing helped :(.

I told you, I go to the 'Startup Applications', which in Ubuntu is System, Preferences, Startup Applications: then choose add: enter the command as 'xset r 66' and choose any name, it will work automatically at startup.
    If there are any differences in procedure between mint and ubuntu they'd be pretty small like kqr said, so it should be similar, and btw the latest ubuntu didn't fix it as I had the same problem.

Hope that helps

The annoying thing with user-friendly GNU+Linux distros is that they add a lot of technical complexity, and it's uncomfortable to try to help to a non-geeky GNU+Linux user. :P

Anyway, the usual way to set backspace repeat is to add the command 'xset r 66' to the file '.xinitrc' in your home directory (put it at the very top). If that doesn't work with Ubuntu, i really cannot help.

``Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.''
    ~ Albert Einstein

Don't know if you ever had this solved, but in Mint 10 under  ControlCenter > Keyboard > Layouts > Options > CapsLock key behavior, you can set the capslock key to do many things, to include be a backspace without any fiddling about with xmodmap.  It does not repeat forever-it acts just like it should.

HTH

hello everybody,,,,
    keycode 245 = BackSpace KP_0 keycode 107 = Delete KP_1 .....
    I am using linux mint 3.0. If you could shed some light it would be appreciated. ...
    You can patch Gutsy to enable key repeating
    for the Zboard MERC gamepad. .