• You are not logged in.

Bug in PKL

• Started by bitterbug
    • 7 Replies:

I will be reporting this to the maintainer. Figured some people might be having password issues so here it is.

When typing the caret (also called the circumflex accent): "^"

The output is rendered as: "^ "

There is an additional space slipping in there. This was causing me trouble so I thought I'd pass it along.

Seems like the same issue this user was having https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=929
    except that I didn't catch it using PKL and bug as keywords.

I looked in the layout file and can't see why it doesn't work for me. Only tested in Win 7 though. I'll try XP too.

It works fine in XP, so it's just a Win7 issue.

Hmmm. As you may know, this isn't a PKL forum and the correct forum for that issue is at AutoHotkey. However, I'm also a PKL user so it does interest me. I use the caret as a dead key to type âêîô and the like, and I don't seem to have the same problem as you.

Are you using a US layout? If so, are you sure the caret isn't set as a deadkey in the .ini file? That would cause strangeness.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Yeah, that's why I mentioned I'd contact the maintainer.

The point of posting was to save those with complicated passwords the headache of finding out why they aren't working.

If the caret was configured as a dead key would the behavior be consistent across Windows versions? I'm usiing the PKL default.

Last edited by bitterbug (25-Oct-2010 15:46:36)

bitterbug, did you get a response from the maintainer of PKL? Or does anyone know a workaround for this issue?

Again: Have you checked (for instance by looking inside the pkl.ini file) whether any keys are marked as Dead Keys? For keyboards actually using these, you want them correctly marked off. For US users, they'll usually have the standard US layout set as their system layout (not the PKL layout!) which means that they shouldn't have ANY dead keys.

Look for this line in pkl.ini:
    systemsDeadkeys =
    It should be empty if your installed system layout doesn't use dead keys, as explained above. The value 'auto' will probably work too.

If this really is your problem... it isn't a bug, but a feature. It's a workardound to prevent strangeness when international keyboard layouts are in use on your system.

Last edited by DreymaR (21-Jan-2011 14:51:57)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Changing

systemsDeadkeys = auto

to:

systemsDeadkeys =

in my pkl.ini file has resolved this issue for me. Thanks to DreymaR for your reply - apologies for not understanding what you were saying first time round in your message from oct.