• You are not logged in.

Learning to touchtype too

• Started by Mirrorball
    • 2 Replies:

I used to type on Qwerty at 55-60 wpm with three fingers for each hand, and my hands hurt a lot. I've been practising touchtyping on Colemak on and off since November and using it regularly since December and I'm finally typing at 55-60 wpm again since a week or two ago, but my hands don't hurt anymore -- though I'm not sure the improvements are due to Colemak only. In any case I realise now that my hands have to move a lot more when I type on Qwerty than when I type on Colemak. Typing on Qwerty is ridiculous. I don't understand how some people can still insist switching keyboard layouts don't make any difference.

Many people do not have their hands/wrists hurt and also type fast and hence see no reason to change and no benifit of changing.  A lot of the same people also see no benifit of ergonomic keyboards either :P.

Colemak layout and ergonomic keyboards are good only for people typing at least 2 hours a day, to justify the change. Especially change the layout to Qwerty, because of the learning curve and 1 months of intensive practice. And they must be able to learn touch typing to fully get the Colemak ergonomic advantages.

For gamers who depend on Qwerty-specific hotkeys or computer user with little typing, don't bother.