• You are not logged in.

How many days of practice until basic proficiency?

• Started by coconut
  • 27 Replies:

brny3zhy0hquoqkd7.gif

After 3 weeks of training, I could type 35-40wpm, then I started using Colemak full time.

Last edited by Tony_VN (11-Mar-2011 03:54:51)

Boli, were you using colemak full-time when collecting those stats? A year to get up to qwerty speeds is a bit depressing

innovine said:

Boli, were you using colemak full-time when collecting those stats? A year to get up to qwerty speeds is a bit depressing

Yes, I was using Colemak full-time. However: I stopped training after a few weeks and let the rest of the transition happen naturally (as you can read in my experiences thread). Note that I also switched keyboards twice in that year.

There are quite a few people who switched way faster than I did, Ryan Heise being one of the more popular ones - I think someone posted his progress graph a few posts further up.

Anyway, the important thing to take away is that it took me only 3 weeks to get to a very comfortable level (37 WPM in the 3 minute "The Enchanted Typewriter" test). I'm pretty sure I could have sped up progress by training regularly after reaching that, but I didn't feel the need to - I could do my job as a software engineer perfectly fine.
Also, what's 3 weeks or even a year compared to the next 30+ years of one's (typing) life?

Last edited by boli (11-Mar-2011 10:05:34)