• You are not logged in.

My experiences after a couple months

• Started by dante
    • 9 Replies:

The layout really wakes you up to how (key distance) inefficient QWERTY is.  Almost to the point where I sometimes miss letters - not because of muscle memory - but because my hands have become so lazy to almost bark back: " 'F' can't possibly be up there!  Everything I need is on the home row!"

I like that I can click on a colemak.exe program and instantly have the layout (despite not working on login screens.)  Honestly I am a lazy bastard and if this .exe didn't exist I probably wouldn't have bothered.

A lot of enthusiasm and general acceptance despite its creator not presenting any research or documentation:  TypeMatrix has Colemak support in it with Colemak "skins" on the way.  I also heard that the makers of the QIDO Dvorak adaptor are implementing Colemak support (even if it will be $$$)  Linux already has it, The next Apple OS is supposed to have it, and I wouldn't be surprised if Windows was to follow suit.

I like that it was quick to learn and that the short cuts stayed right where they were.

Dislikes:

When I started learning Colemak my right forearm felt really tight like it was getting overworked.  This has gone away completely however it has been replaced with pain in my right wrist after extensive typing.  For the record I've been typing in QWERTY for a while and never had any pain.

Despite having more words on the home row I wish there was some more alternating.  I would really love a Colemak-A layout that took everything Colemak is good at and add a little more alteration with the hands.  What my hands (and statistics) have been telling me is my right hand is getting put (efficiently) through a meat grinder.

Along with my previous comment I want to see some research and studies conducted.  I don't care about studies on speed: I want to see doctors specialized in hand surgery approve or recommend this layout.

The Colemak crowd can sometimes be a little ridiculous.  If Colemak were a car it would most certainly be a Toyota Prius.  There seems to be some sort of "right vs. wrong", "black and white" attitude.  I can understand some folks being enthusiastic but it is off putting to say the least.  The "S" issue in Dvorak is crazy because Colemaks "O" is a higher frequency character by +-1%  The "L" is where the "P" is in QWERTY and I've never had a problem with pinkys in QWERTY so your mileage may vary.

Conclusion

I think for the near future I am going to stick with it.  I am saving up for a Kenisis keyboard ($$$!) to see if I can alleviate the symptoms in my right hand.  However if I can't get the money fast enough (with in 3-6 wks) I may ditch Colemak on a Friday afternoon and use all weekend to get Dvorak down so hopefully by Monday morning I can at least churn out 20wpm and be somewhat productive.  I don't want to make this sound like I am a closet Dvorak zealot.  The more I hear about hand alteration in Dvorak the more the siren sings to me.

Just remember, a layout is only as good as your ability to type comfortably.

Last edited by dante (11-Jul-2011 23:45:42)

For hand balance, Qwerty is 53% left - 47% right, but Colemak is 48% left - 52% right (Dvorak is even more right handed, 46% left-54% right).

That's why you feel your right hand are overworked when switching from Qwerty to Colemak, and if you switch to Dvorak, that feeling will be even clearer.

Check with any text over the Patorjk layout analyzer
    http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/

Last edited by Tony_VN (12-Jul-2011 02:51:27)

Yes I'm aware of this analyzer.  What text did you use to produce your results?  I've tried a lot of different text and Dvorak is almost always about 50% even.  Sometimes its more on the right but again it depends on the text.

1. For fun, I just Select All this topic and copy paste to analyzer
    Layout     Left       Right
    ------------------------------
    Qwerty   53%       47%
    Dvorak   45%       55%
    Colemak 45%       55%

2. Frank Kafka's Metamophosis novel
    Qwerty   55%       45%
    Dvorak   42%       58%
    Colemak 44%       56%

3. Osho "From Sex to Superconsciousness"
    Qwerty   57%       43%
    Dvorak   45%       55%
    Colemak 45%       55%

Last edited by Tony_VN (12-Jul-2011 05:12:44)
    dante said:

Conclusion

I am saving up for a Kenisis keyboard ($$$!) to see if I can alleviate the symptoms in my right hand.  ...  The more I hear about hand alteration in Dvorak the more the siren sings to me.

Just remember, a layout is only as good as your ability to type comfortably.

I'm using colemak now since a year, and since 5 week with an Maltron keyboard.
    Surerly i can try to press the spacebar with my left thumb, but.. it seems more
    and more that the issues with my right are not keyboard related..

you have also issues then you press space, h, o, u more often in this order?

Last edited by noctua (12-Jul-2011 09:20:24)

For more hand balance using Colemak, you can use left pinky to press Backspace (Capslock) and left thumb to press spacebar.

Tony_VN said:

For more hand balance using Colemak, you can use left pinky to press Backspace (Capslock) and left thumb to press spacebar.

I will try this although its been very difficult to reprogram my brain to use the capslock for backspace.

Usually my right pinky is already on the backspace key before I have a chance to intervene!

My only complaint about the capslock is sometimes during some fast and furious typing on typeracer I will accidentally hit the tab key which moves my focus outside the text box.  It can be frustrating!

Tony_VN said:

1. For fun, I just Select All this topic and copy paste to analyzer
    Qwerty   53%       47%
    Dvorak   45%       55%
    Colemak 45%       55%

2. Frank Kafka's Metamophosis novel
    Qwerty   55%       45%
    Dvorak   42%       58%
    Colemak 44%       56%

3. Osho "From Sex to Superconsciousness"
    Qwerty   57%       43%
    Dvorak   45%       55%
    Colemak 45%       55%

LOL.  Well that explains why my right hand feels so over worked.

noctua said:

I'm using colemak now since a year, and since 5 week with an Maltron keyboard.
    Surerly i can try to press the spacebar with my left thumb, but.. it seems more
    and more that the issues with my right are not keyboard related..

you have also issues then you press space, h, o, u more often in this order?

My most difficult/least comfortable key combos are kn.  p(qwerty)/:(colemak) is a weird one.  Its almost because p is used more often in qwerty I think my wrist feels more loose but when I start hammering away at the infrequent : its like my wrist isn't prepared for it.

No issues with h o u.

Last edited by dante (12-Jul-2011 18:10:36)
    dante said:

My only complaint about the capslock is sometimes during some fast and furious typing on typeracer I will accidentally hit the tab key which moves my focus outside the text box.  It can be frustrating!

I sometimes hit the menu key under comma or period. Also frustrating!