• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Some statistics about layouts (comparisons, charts)

Some statistics about layouts (comparisons, charts)

• Started by BvoFRak
  • 37 Replies:

You should be able to open it with with the free adobe reader. Just click on the image and then you can rotate it and so on. It has some weird greyish colours but it's good enough to see the whole keyboard and choose good angles.
Orthogonal means just that all parallel lines on the keyboard are also parallel on the picture, opposed to perspective, where they run to one or two points.

So how about this:
9jgbd4_th.png         2w5oqcn_th.jpg

And perspective:
2helsg9_th.png         2v1l11s_th.png

I think the first set looks a bit better from this angle.

Ok, maybe the first two colored ones you made are actually the best. It's not easy to see it all from one angle since colemak is designed to have a wall in the middle :-)

In addition to the layouts you have mentioned BVO.. I have seen a layout optimized for German language it is called Neo. http://neo-layout.org/forum/

Also, there are three layout that I have designed and/or modified and these are.

IDvorak: passed testing successfully (PTS)  and I am currently using.

Imak_balanced: PTS, is comfortable like dvorak for long periods of typing

Imak_biased: is currently under testing (20WPM), and if successful, I will be using it, otherwise it will be the last layout I will test and the Imak project would be terminated at this point.

@ nimbostratue : I've just mentionned english layout, because each language has its own corpus, so its own layout. For ex, french have already the Bépo or Dvorak-fr.

@erw / pafkata90

It's not easy to see it all from one angle since colemak is designed to have a wall in the middle :-)

¿ Change the opacity only of the "pillars" of the wall...?

By the way, great job pafkata90 !

Yeah, I've tried that but it looks very bad. No need to even post it. I'll do the pics for Colemak and qwerty one of these days :)

Last edited by pafkata90 (12-Aug-2011 14:39:20)

This is an awesome idea! The contrast between the clumped "skyline" of a layout like Colemak and a layout like QWERTY will be visually striking!

Maybe you could try a lighter tone on the columns? Don't know, but it looks a bit dark and foreboding? Just a suggestion.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Okay. Here's the difference:
2v8qo8i.png

Last edited by pafkata90 (16-Aug-2011 01:02:55)

Nice visual representation guys.

Another relevant visual is that of eeePC keyboards. They have a matte finish that wears off the more it is used. So on my keyboard the f, j, k and the right side of the space key are worn off, which demonstrates the usage of those physical keys on the Colemak layout. Whereas when I look at my Qwerty-using friends laptop, it's the same t, n, and e that are used, but off the homerow.

Really brings a smile to see my worn out homerow. Efficiency is good.

Last edited by juice43 (17-Aug-2011 22:51:15)

Colemak typist

The worn out of keycaps motivates me to use Ninja and blank keycaps. The keycaps will be shiny instead of worn out after some time. (Yes, my hands are oily.)

By the way, if you want to try the BvoFRak EN (V0.3) layout, i did fastly a PKL. Some deadkey doesn't work yet.
I paste as well the colemak layout inside in order to compare them.

state0.png
Download the PKL...

I see some really nice work here, (I'm a data freak).

BvoFrak, I linked this thread at Geekhack and a separate pic of your 'super-ergo' board. It deserves the exposure :)

An Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkey From Hell typing with Colemak saved my life!

Thank you  input nirvana!

Right now, I am working on fingers' rolls for french.

But for english, this one has good "rolling" and keep alternation of hand 70%, 52%-48% hand use, and low "same finger" use (better than dvorak but not than Colemak), and of course low distance.

699553BvoFRrakENV04.png
You can install this layout via the MKLC i've done.

http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/
4,7,12,9,10,51,8,0,11,27,6,5,3,13,14,43,44,31,45,35,2,49,21,33,15,1,25,26,28,30,47,19,18,34,24,29,17,23,22,20,40,41,32,16,48,37,42,46,50,39,36,38,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59,60

Last edited by BvoFRak (17-Jan-2012 14:02:51)
pafkata90 said:

You should be able to open it with with the free adobe reader. Just click on the image and then you can rotate it and so on. It has some weird greyish colours but it's good enough to see the whole keyboard and choose good angles.
Orthogonal means just that all parallel lines on the keyboard are also parallel on the picture, opposed to perspective, where they run to one or two points.

So how about this:
http://i52.tinypic.com/9jgbd4_th.png         http://i52.tinypic.com/2w5oqcn_th.jpg

And perspective:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2helsg9_th.png         http://i53.tinypic.com/2v1l11s_th.png

I think the first set looks a bit better from this angle.

I would love to see those and all the others, please @pafkata90 repost!

Alatrix

• Index
  • General
  • Some statistics about layouts (comparisons, charts)