• You are not logged in.

another it's 3-4 years now! ;)

• Started by *cup=coffee
    • 5 Replies:

Well I even forgot what was my login or which free mail account I used to register here.

I learned touch typing with colemak and split ergonomic keyboard. I was then a software developer and it was something really awesome - I did my job with no pain and no long evenings... Learning the colemak was even quicker than building my finger muscles. In about 4-5 moths I typed with ~60 WPM though feeling pain from time to time and having that feeling "the finger rolls are too tight on this layout". After a time I reached ~75 WPM and build stronger fingers, it was about a year than finally the layout and all the "tight rolls" were perceived really natural and effort saving. Last year I changed job. I am a software engineer now, most of the days spend on meetings, reviews of architecture, designing so my typing skills ceased. I just checked hi-games and reached 60WPM with some effort (many corrections).

Well I now use iPhone and IPad. The qwerty was awful at first, I just managed to find the keys on it and type but somehow I believe it has an influence no my colemak skills. I though about switching to qwerty, but that was just a sill though. I wish colemak is everywhere. Unfortunately it is far from the truth, Windows and iOS seems to never adopt this standard. With Windows there is no problem providing one have an Administartor rights. However the i* devices are really annoying.

And finally my opinion on the efficiency colmeak vs qwerty: it is much smaller than the artificial tests. I would say that colemak is about 15% more efficient (and require 15% less effort). I just base my opinion on my experiment, I tried to type qwerty and I reached ~50 WPM in a few tries. Of course it felt unergonomic but I believe that is a matter of getting used to, the colemak was also not so ergonomic for me at first until I really get used to it. So whether is it worth to learn colemak it really matters how much you type in your job. Though, no I am not going to switch to qwerty now when I know colemak :)

Edit: In fact I get back to this forum looking for iPhone solution ;)

Last edited by *cup=coffee (12-Jun-2011 20:17:30)

I've been using colemak for a few years now and did never look back. 80 wpm on normal keyboards, 90 on my Datahand.

deskthority.net - input devices extraordinaire

iOS 5 for iPhone this summer/fall will have Colemak as a layout option. :)

An Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkey From Hell typing with Colemak saved my life!

I use the colemak now since a year and i've many trained
    at typeracer to get quickly my qwerty speed niveau back,
    more over i've surpassed it a lot.. +80 wpm on average,
    +90 wpm on easy texts and +100 on short quotes.

but this "you" combo or the distance between H-O for
    example contained in the word "other", or the A-D
    distance (addition) needs still a revision.. ;)

Last edited by noctua (10-Jul-2011 10:09:37)
    input nirvana said:

That's good to hear, I had been wondering...

input nirvana said:

Only for external keyboards, not the on-screen "soft keyboard". :(  Your choices there are (wait for it) Qwerty, Azerty, and Qwertz.