• You are not logged in.

colemak and RSI

• Started by mark74
    • 8 Replies:

Hi fellow colemak users,

I have been using for a colemak for a year now. I would like to know if there is anyone who has got rid of RSI problems after switching to colemak ??

Hopefully no Colemak user got RSI. Here are the book

Complete Guide to RSI
    http://www.mediafire.com/?kgnxwv8kpnghg48

I don't think I have or have had RSI, but my fingers have hurt some in the past. Since I switched to using a trackpad for my main (desktop) computer as well as Colemak, both 8 months ago, as well as Kinesis Advantage (3 months ago) it has diminished (but not disappeared completely). It's not to say which of the three things helped, but I'm happy that they did :-)

Tony_VN said:

Hopefully no Colemak user got RSI. Here are the book

Complete Guide to RSI
    http://www.mediafire.com/?kgnxwv8kpnghg48

the book has only mentioned Dvorak and not any other layout, weird :-S .
    Thanks for the ebook probably have to try some physical exercises.

thanks for suggestions Tony,erw will try them out!

btw you guys rest your wrist on the keyboard or keep the wrist floating while typing continuously ?

I started touch typing recently and while I mostly rest my wrists, I have tried to float my hands and wrists a few times.  It feels better at first, but then because I am not practised at all, my wrists tire and I go back to resting.  I am hoping that with enough practice it will become my normal way of typing.

Advantage LF arrives tomorrow... so I will let you know how that goes too!

No answers for you here.  But did you cross over to Colemak to hopefully remedy RSI symptoms?

Which part of the body to you have problems with?

Regarding floating the hands.  I do that now, but I never used to.  But it does put some pressure on your upper body - as you are holding out your arms.  You might be able to rest your elbows and still lift your arms.  Weird that you say your wrists tire.  My wrists don't tire, only when they are contorted.  I do get stiffness in the fingers though.

Edit:  I do get some pain in my right wrist - but I've always put this down to an injury where I came off my bike and fractured it.  It could be from typing.

Last edited by pinkyache (23-Oct-2011 12:24:55)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Hello there.
    I am a Qwerty and Colemak Typist and have some experience with typing.
    I can type pretty fast on both, i managed on typeracer scores of 130-140 WPM with both layouts(Colemak - 10'th month just).
    I did even a continuous 50 minutes test with Colemak on www.hi-games.net and scored 80 WPM some time ago, without even feeling tyred after.

You'll not gonna get RSI even if you use QWERTY (the best candidate to make you have pain) like a crazy if you respect the basic typing related "CARE": take breaks every hour...., body position, finger position (there can be exceptions , you are not a robot, you can adapt touch typing to you) or EXCESS: it's like sport and you must get it gradually and not start typing like a crazy 10 hours a row if you don't have experience becouse that experience makes your body and mind stronger.

Let your body and mind adapt, take it slowly and you will have no fucking problems.
    Don't force yourself to think that there's one way to type "BEST", adapt it to you, don't force something if feels bad BUT accord a chance to anything that it's in theory better than what you do at last for a decent amounth of time because there are moments when things feel occurd at beginning but in time they become 2'nd nature, so always give it a chance(Real chance, becouse if in theory it's better almost in 99.99999% of the cases so is in reality if the time barier is defeated, time it's the only problem why we do things sometimes different than it's best in theory, sometimes worth doing it a bit bad than it's best becouse the time spent learning the best technique it's to large, and the gain will not be proportional with the struggle, but if you are a perfectionist, this don't matter).

Main tip : DON'T EXAGERATE and follow the theory best you are capable(This is not just a typing TIP, it's a life tip, that's why people get RSI and many other stupid problems in all kind of life regions and domains).
    People kepp doing things BAD just becouse they are lazy, then they wonder why problems apear in time......

RSI it's a self inflicted problem, don't be lazy take it slowly, do your best and things will be just fine!

Last edited by lucageorge (22-Oct-2011 19:56:20)

@lucageorge, while I agree with some of those points - I wouldn't dare suggest people won't get RSI if they follow 'best practice' guidelines.

Your speed is immense by the way.

In my youth... I never felt any pain when using the computer for extended periods whatsoever.  It can catch up with you unknowingly.  Don't be under the impression that you are immune to computer related stresses.  It is really very serious for those affected.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Kind of OFFTOPIC , sorry everyone.

I myself started to have some pain at a point, but the only reason was that I was forcing myself to type on a certain way withut having my hands used with that kind of position, the solution was to get things slow for that particular position and don't type as much as I was used for a while, i took it gradually and  slowly my fingers and hand become used to the positon and the pain gone away( I was overtraining on a positon my fingers were not used to).

I got that problem while exercising Colemak, and thought to ajust the positon of a hand for better efficency, was a bit time consuming but the results are here.
    A part of the keyboard I don't type the same with both layouts, same key , other fingers for both of the layouts becouse I was not using touch typing how it should while typing on Qwerty ,so when I started Colemak i started same time to type exactly how touch typing it is.

We need to analyze what makes us have those problems and corect them or take things gradually if we encounter them, happens without our intent , but we are the guilty almost every time.

The only reason I started to learn Colemak was becouse I want to type fast, and overall Colemak it's the best physical choice, even if some prefer the Rithm of the Dvorak, i want real physical best choice for speed, so that's why I train, and about the very tyght Combos of Colemak, they got natural even if for a while when you get at certain high speed seems too unnatural.

So : If you follow the "Best practice" you won't get RSI , I assure you , the problem is that some people are not paying attention and what they think is there writen :)) it's not actually what it meant, happens a lot, happens to me lots of times even if i'm not a retard, human nature.
    And yes with time we get more and more easily susceptible to all kinds of problems, but with attention and dedication there will be almost no practical difference.
    Get a Sport guy, a soccer on, tey tend to retire when they get over 30-35 best, but why's that?, you really think they are not capable to play anymore? :D tey will diminish physical by all ways , that's a fact , but the actual decay and involution it's insignifyant if they follow a corect training method and train hard, but in time you don't feel that urge anymore, that pleasure, to even to the mental levl you "Quit"....., people got to many miscocepitons about life, i hate myself when i discover how stupid I was, but i strugle to evolve , most of us don't, at all :D , it's easier to stay how you are, it's warm and feels good , fear of unknown , fear of training , of hard work...sorry for this , i get carryyed a lot of times.

Last edited by lucageorge (25-Oct-2011 19:47:20)