• You are not logged in.

I am back, and this time I'll reach 40 wpm

• Started by Hinco Spade 2
    • 7 Replies:

Hi, I just got the idea to try and learn Colemak. Again.

I checked when I wrote my last posts here, and it's been almost exactly one year since I last tried Colemak. I had the user name "Hinco Spade", but I seem to have lost the password and have no idea what email address I used. But never mind.

What happened last year was that I got curious about just how effective Colemak would be for me. I am Swedish and I type both Swedish and English, perhaps 50/50 or 67/33. I wanted to know if I could find a better layout, since letter and digraph frequencies are slightly different. I would have to modify the official layout to include Swedish characters åäö, so my reasoning was that perhaps I should see if other changes would be beneficial as well.

I spent a lot of time gathering sample texts and writing scripts to try different layouts. I even tried to write one of them programs to evolve an optimal keyboard layout! It was fun to write and fun to watch, but I never got it to produce good layouts. The trick is rating the layouts, a way to find a good combination of several different characteristics, like the total distance your fingers have travelled while typing a sample text, or the balance between fingers, rows and hands. I grew tired of the project before I could finish it.

At the time I was typing Svorak -Swedish Dvorak. But I didn't have a real keyboard layout, I was using an autohotkey script. It was a little buggy, and when I used it, my shift and alt keys would sometimes get stuck. Then I bought a macbook, and rather than creating a new keyboard layout for mac os x (and maybe fixing my autohotkeys one), I simply switched back to qwerty.

That was about a year ago, and now it's time to learn Colemak again. I've made my mind up and decided to learn it. I found ukulele, and added the swedish characters to the mac version of the official layout, similar to padde's layout: https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=52. On my windows computer I am using the official layout for now, until I can figure out MSKLC.

I checked my current speed at Ryan Heise's very cool typing test (http://www.ryanheise.com/typing-test/) and found that I can type qwerty at 41 wpm. That is using about six fingers and keeping an eye on the keyboard. Since the typing test doesn't include åäö, I also checked my Dvorak speed. I reached 39 wpm even though it's been a year since I last typed dvorak. It came back to me instantly, and it felt really good to be able to touch type again! The punctuation was on different keys than my old layout, which slowed me down a little.

Since I can only type 40 wpm, that'll be my first goal to reach with colemak.

Good luck Hinco Spade (2)! Ukelele is a great program, I used it to make a German cmk yesterday.

Welcome back! Velkommen tilbake!

If you don't find out how to use MSKLC, let us know and we'll help. I have a Norwegian Colemak for Windows, but I've been messing with the bottom left half-row and the AltGr mappings so it isn't quite canonical.

I used to be stuck at about 40 WPM, but now I'm rounding 60 with Colemak (which I also managed with Dvorak before moving on). Good times.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thank you! So, it's been four days. I have worked through the twelve online typing lessons (once or twice each) and have reached the typing speed of 12 wpm. :-)

I have been taking it very easy. I don't use colemak for anything except to practice it. I only practice in short sessions (1-10 minutes) and quit as soon as I become frustrated. I don't bother about the speed, only about memorizing the key locations. I also practice on the bus, typing on my knees. :-)

When I learned dvorak I took it more seriously, forcing myself to practice. It was a very frustrating experience. I think this is a better method, at least to start with, provided you keep practicing.

Now that I have learned all the letters I will need to get a fully functional keyboard layout for windows, to get the punctuation right and do some real typing. Unfortunately, MSKLC will not install (yes, I have installed the .NET framewok). I'll try on another computer later this week.

You got the right .NET? There's 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 (Vista only); you need 2.0 for MSKLC v1.4 (the current one) and 1.1 for MSKLC v1.3 (the former one, but it still works for non-Vista). If one version of MSKLC doesn't work, try the other - it's not a lot of difference on the surface (although v1.4 makes a more advanced install package with different files optimized for different processor types, they both seem to work just fine to me).

I'm working on some new ideas for my own .KLC file(s); I'll come back to that later. It's an interesting program.

You don't have to be very serious, unless you expect fast progress. Just make sure you don't expect to get everything for too little, heh.  :)  Maybe you'd like to use a typing game? I'm very fond of The Typing of the Dead myself!

https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=194

Although I must confess, not all games are equally forgiving on you if your speed is below 20 WPM. I don't quite remember how nice TotD is at that level; I seem to remember using it mainly in drill mode until I got my speed up to around 20 WPM, but that was good fun too so no problem for me at least.

Last edited by DreymaR (30-Oct-2007 23:59:45)

Thanks, that seems to have been the problem. I had a setup file for MSKLC lying around, it must have been an old version. I got the current one and it seems to work. (Why don't they put the version in the file name?)

Four years later and I realized I never updated this entry. I gave up again, but a few years ago I realized how my keyboard (a typematrix) has a built-in colemak mode (Fn + F5) and eventually got used to it.

I now use colemak all the time and have been for perhaps a year. I quickly checked my typing speed just now and scored 47 wpm, so I guess I reached the goal I had even if I'm still not a fast typist.

Glad to hear that it's worked out for you! :) And you're faster than ever, right? Actually, the average typist has a speed in the 38 WPM range if I remember correctly so you're well above average! It can be daunting to read these fora where all the die-hard typing aficionados go to brag about their 80+ or even 100+ WPM speeds. Don't sweat it. ;)

What matters most is your consistent speed, and that depends a lot on accuracy. The accuracy also helps your comfort and ability to concentrate on what you're writing instead of how you're doing it! And in my view those factors can be far more important than raw speed.

Last edited by DreymaR (05-Nov-2011 11:21:43)