• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Make Colemak permanet on Slackware (Slackintosh)

Make Colemak permanet on Slackware (Slackintosh)

• Started by bmx007
    • 14 Replies:

Hi
    I've been a colemak user for neary 2 years now and I'm really loving it.
    However, I tried to install it on Slackware (Slackintosh in fact). I followed the instruction , it kind of work
    but I can't make it being permanent (especially the console version, I don't have (or can't find) the install-keymap  command.

What should I do.
    So far, I have to type manually "loadkeys ..." and "setxkbd colemak" each time I'm logging and then starting X.

That's really annoying

Max

@Max

I applied following method on my laptop to Colemak as system default layout. It worked  out in Debian Squeeze.  I have Colemak both terminal and Xorg. ^^

Setting Colemak layout in Debian is easy. 'dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration'. When it fails below manual Colemak installation does the job from my experiences.

Linux in text console mode

Download, untar/gunzip archive
    Under Debian/Ubuntu/Knoppix/Debian derivatives type: install-keymap linux_console/colemak.iso15.kmap to install as the default layout.
    Type: loadkeys linux_console/colemak.iso15.kmap to switch layouts.
    To switch to a ISO8859-15 compatible font type: consolechars -f lat9v-14
    To switch back to QWERTY type: loadkeys us

Last edited by penguin (21-Nov-2011 05:07:57)

Debian GNU/Linux Jessie NitroType TypeTest

Under Debian/Ubuntu/Knoppix/Debian derivatives type: install-keymap linux_console/colemak.iso15.kmap to install as the default layout.

I have followed that, unfortunately, I can't find `install-keymap` on Slackware. Any idea ?

Thx

The kbd package that ships the console keymaps for Linux, includes Colemak since version 1.15.2.  If you have that, you don't have to "install" the Colemak layout separately, and you can use your distro's usual procedure to configure the default keymap for the console.

ghen said:

The kbd package that ships the console keymaps for Linux, includes Colemak since version 1.15.2.  If you have that, you don't have to "install" the Colemak layout separately,

Unfortunatly, the version I use don't have Colemak installed (I'm trying to resurrect an old iBook G4, meaning I need a distro which work for power pc and light, I choose Slackintosh 12, I would I prefer Ubuntu, I tried it but it doesn't work )

and you can use your distro's usual procedure to configure the default keymap for the console.

How do I do that ?

It's either a /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/default/keyboard file, usually. Many distros have GUI tools to set it.

You need something like these lines in the xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier  "Keyboard0"
       Driver      "kbd"
            Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
            Option      "XkbVariant" "colemak"
       EndSection

(I think)

In the default/keyboard file, I have these lines:

XKBLAYOUT="us,us"
    XKBVARIANT="colemak,"
    Last edited by DreymaR (22-Nov-2011 14:03:55)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Hi
    I tried "XkbVariant" and "XkbLayout" to "colemak", nothing work. There is no /etc/default/keyboard so don't know what to do with it. Finaly I copied the xmodmap file as ~/.Xmodmap, it's working so far, but it's not really convenient.
    Thanks all for your help

Isn't it supposed to be a menu choice though? Something like "Preferences > Peripherals > Keyboard"? If it uses X11 it should have a Colemak there (under English (US))?

Last edited by DreymaR (22-Nov-2011 14:07:14)

DreymaR said:

Isn't it supposed to be a menu choice though? Something like "Preferences > Peripherals > Keyboard"? If it uses X11 it should have a Colemak there (under English (US))?

That's the problem, I followed the instructions and copied the file under /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/colemak but it doesn't appears in the list of variant (neither in the list of layout).
    However when I type setxkbmap colemak, it seems to find it.

If it's properly installed in X11 (default for newer distros), it's not under symbols/colemak but inside the symbols/us file as a variant of the us layout. That's why I set it as a variant above.

Making a new layout in a separate file appear in the menu choices is an involved process. I've done it, but it's not easy.

Last edited by DreymaR (22-Nov-2011 14:17:22)

DreymaR said:

If it's properly installed in X11 (default for newer distros), it's not under symbols/colemak but inside the symbols/us file as a variant of the us layout. That's why I set it as a variant above.

I have an old distro and colemak is not installed. My question is therefore how to install it 'properly' on Slackware. I copied it under 'symbols/colemak' because that what it's said here :https://colemak.com/wiki/index.php?title=Unix#Linux.2FUnix_in_graphical_mode_using_xorg.conf_.28X.Org_Server_7.0_or_later.29.
    What do you mean by under symbols/us is a separate file or do I have to modify the us file (and how ?)

Ah. Well, the simplest way I know of is to "steal" an existing variant. Let's say you're not using the ... ummm ... just look inside one of the files (I recommend the 'us' one if your language is English) and pick one you won't need. Then if you're happy with using my setup for lvl3/4 you could copy it from this topic I made (or go inside Shai's files for the vanilla layout). That goes inside your symbols file and then you rename it from

xkb_symbols "colemak-ed" {
        name[Group1]= "English/Intl - Colemak-ED";

to whatever you're replacing. Quick and dirty.

Last edited by DreymaR (22-Nov-2011 14:32:51)

I'm not sure about your layout ;-), however where (and what ) should I copy before hand?

If you follow that 'this topic I made' link above, you could copy over what's in the code field there (ignoring the '//' comment lines if you wish, of course). That's why I suggested it. Inside the symbols files you'll find similar sections that you may then replace. Generally, don't do in the primary/default variant (marked 'default') but take a lesser one.

Ok I'll have a look tonight, thanks

• Index
      • Technical
      • Make Colemak permanet on Slackware (Slackintosh)