• You are not logged in.

Colemak hardware/firmware implementation project on Geekhack

• Started by Input Nirvana
    • 6 Replies:

There is a thread/wiki developing on www.Geekhack.org with the intent of creating a QWERTY-Colemak dongle (similar to QIDO) and now is expanding to a 2 or 3 pronged project offering a small hot-plugable board to offer multiple layouts, programmability, macros, multiple layers to a non-programmable keyboard.

The soon-to-be wiki article, is in it's infancy as ideas and resources are currently being complied by a few members that are adapting code from other projects. It needs input from anyone with ideas, code writing, etc. We are about to link related articles and emailing known people of interest to participate.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?1945 … e-firmware

Feel free to take a look and contribute!

An Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkey From Hell typing with Colemak saved my life!

http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22022

add your voice if you are interested

Great! Thank you for posting and your contribution, and keeping the momentum. I will make certain all relevant links are on our Geekhack thread as a central point of contact. :)

An Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkey From Hell typing with Colemak saved my life!

I love your work as always, nerdvana!  ;)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Nerdvana, that's definitely appropriate.

If the OS allows Colemak, that is a huge step forward for people, but this would allow other changes to occur. I've noted quite a few people make a 1-3 letter swap in Colemak, and this will allow for that. Layout can be extremely personal, there's no reason to be limited to any one layout. Plus, this would allow for a huge convenience factor, AND importantly, especially for people that have may a physical limitation (fingers/hands/wrists).

Am I lucky computer user? Debian GNU/Linux provides Colemak layout as default keyboard layout.
    It provides Qwerty, Dvorak, Colemak vise versa. Switching the keyboard layout can be done one command on demand by user. To setup Colemak as the system keyboard layout is done by system configuration tool.

Debian GNU/Linux Jessie NitroType TypeTest

@Penguin: In the post directly above yours, InputNirvana explains why your post misses the mark. Sure, it's nice to have Colemak out of the box in Linux and I applaud that wholeheartedly. But I for one, use a WideAngle ergonomic mod that had to be implemented by myself the (very!) hard way in Linux as well as in Windows. And none of that helps me even a little bit on my PlayStation. So yay for a solution that lets all those little modifications become possible on ALL systems!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***