• You are not logged in.

Poke Typing QWERTY to Colemak

• Started by Knil
    • 10 Replies:

Hey everyone, I currently touch type by poking my keys, yes that sounds weird, but I can poke type without looking at my keyboard. After 13 years of being on a keyboard and self taught poke typer it's time to learn the real way (I can actually type 75 wpm poking).

So I figured if I was going to be learning to type the proper way I might as well do it on the most efficient layout. I first was looking into Dvorak, but then I stumbled onto the plethora of other alternatives. Which after doing some researched I ended up here.

If you have any good colemak training stuff feel free to link it here, thanks.

I'll keep you guys updated on my progress.

Last edited by Knil (30-Nov-2011 16:40:18)

Not sure what exactly you mean by poking here? You say you touch type which implies that you use all fingers? But not in the usual way, somehow. Please elaborate for us... slow-pokes! :D

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

My understanding is touch typing is typing without looking. On qwerty I would poke type without looking (using mostly index fingers). Typing this using Colemak, so it was super slow.

Spent about 2 hours typing, got the layout memorized, but still super slow - especially when I'm not looking at layout.

The first three weeks of switching is superbly, terribly, wonderfully sloooowww. Hopefully you can get over it.

Put a Colemak layout paper on top or bottom of the monitor.
    It stopped me looking at the keyboard.  I haven't memorized special characters.

Debian GNU/Linux Jessie NitroType TypeTest

Okay, thanks for the explanation. You're right, 'touch' implies using motor memory instead of sight. Combining that with two-finger poking must be quite a feat? :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

penguin said:

Put a Colemak layout paper on top or bottom of the monitor.
    It stopped me looking at the keyboard.  I haven't memorized special characters.

I'm currently using a second monitor with the picture of the layout. Is it better to not use a visually aid after you have the layout memorized?

DreymaR said:

Okay, thanks for the explanation. You're right, 'touch' implies using motor memory instead of sight. Combining that with two-finger poking must be quite a feat? :)

Yes it's a skill developed of necessity, because being the on the computer for years and typing slow just don't work out so I learned to type fast without looking using poking.

@Knil

Once your fingers know all the letters without guessing, you don't need visual aid. Some keyboard users even use blank key caps for cosmetic reason.

Debian GNU/Linux Jessie NitroType TypeTest

Up to 25 wpm now getting better but still slow.

After four days, you have reached 1/3 speed of your Qwerty speed? I think that's fast progress.

Your Qwerty speed comes from years of practice, not four days.

Last edited by Tony_VN (03-Dec-2011 14:24:13)