• You are not logged in.

The Colemak impressions of a new user

• Started by pafkata90
  • 39 Replies:
Tony_VN said:

I have tried Autohotkey but when you type fast (50+wpm) sometimes Autohotkey cannot respond and Qwerty keys kick in.

I had some issues with Authotkeys as well, but I was recently having a problem of where I did not have caps Lock and the layout suddenly switch to upper case and I attributed this to Authotkey. But now and after the problem happened with me for several day during the last two weeks I realized that it is a sticky shift, and I have to hit the sticky key few times to make to return the logic back to normal

Yes, what you say Tony is true. That's why I like the AHK Portable Colemak only for usage on other computers. I meant if something else is possible – like changing the current layout in certain events. I don't know how to do that either but that's where I always start when I want to do something with AHK. Then I look around the net and their forum and figure it out (most of the times at least :D).

pafkata90 said:

Funny enough I also sometimes mistake D and G, which I've got no clue why is happening. A couple of accuracy drills will fix me, I think.

After taking the Left and Right hand lessons from nimbo, these errors are in the past. Awesome lessons, great contribution to the forum!

I'm almost not training at all these days. I just started my internship in a company here in Amsterdam and I'm busy pretty much all the time. In the evenings every now and then I do a couple of races in Typeracer and I don't even finish them cause I'm so disappointed in myself :D and then quit. Today was the same but I decided to make a hi-games 5 min test and for God knows what reason I hit new speeds, even with the horrible accuracy. I should really spend a weekend sorting this out. My fingers feel fast but it's like they don't know what to do sometimes and keep hitting the wrong keys :D.

I definitely feel like I can keep up in the 100+ if I have ~99% accuracy but that needs work. It took two tries (both above my previous record) and now my five min test shows 91 wpm.

Guys? I could use an advice. I fixed my error rate when I'm concentrated. It's usually above 98-99% but most of the errors I make are by mistiming the space when I've got T at the beginning or the end of a word. Any recommendations on some drills I can do? If I slow down I don't make such mistakes but once I loosen up a little bit it happens...

By the way on TypeRacer is quite often now to stay in the 95-97 wpm average for the last 10 races, which I feel is a good progress. The progress line on the graph is steadily heading upwards.

So you tend to type space faster/slower than 't'.

I think you may ask nimbostratue to produce a lesson with a lot of words starting and/or ending with T for you to practise.

You might benefit from these lessons:

t*t:

tabaret tablet taboret tabouret. tacet tachist tacit tacket tackiest, tact tailcoat taillight taint takeout. talent talipot talkfest, talkiest tallest tallit tamest tangent. tangiest tanglement tangliest tanist, tannest tantamount taphonomist. tappet taproot tardiest, target tarot tarriest tart tartest tartlet. tasset tastiest tat tattiest tattooist, taught taunt taut tautest tawdriest. tawniest taxidermist taxonomist, teacart teapot teariest teat techiest. technocrat technologist teeniest, teensiest teentsiest teetotalist tegument. telecast telegraphist teleologist, teleost telephonist teleport teletext televangelist. telnet temperament tempest templet tempt tenant tenderest, tenderfeet tenderfoot tenebrist tenement. tenet tennist tenorist tensest tent tentiest, teratologist terawatt tercelet. tercet termagant terret territ, territorialist terrorist. tersest tervalent tesseract test testament, testiest tet tetchiest. tetravalent text thalassocrat, thanatologist. thankfullest that thatchiest thaumaturgist, thecodont theft theist theocrat. theorist theosophist therapist thereabout, thereat thermochemist thermodynamicist. thermoelement thermoluminescent thermoremanent. thermoset thermostat theurgist thewiest thickest. thicket thickset thinnest thirst thirstiest, thistliest thorniest thoroughest thoroughwort. thought thrawart threadiest threat threnodist thrift. thriftiest throat throatiest throughout throughput thrummiest, thruput thrust thumbnut thumbprint thunderbolt. thwart thymiest ticket tidbit tidiest tight tightest tilt timeliest, timeout timidest timpanist tinct tingliest tiniest tinkliest tinniest tint tipcart. tipcat tippet tippiest tipsiest tiredest tit titbit titlist, titrant toast toastiest tobacconist tobogganist toft. toilet toit tolerant tomcat tommyrot tomtit toniest, tonight tonlet tonoplast toot toothiest toothwort topcoat. topflight topgallant topknot toploftiest topmast. topmost topologist toponymist toquet torchiest, torchlight torment torot torrent torridest tort tosspot tost tot totalist totemist totipotent touchiest toughest tourist tournament tourniquet tout towboat toweriest towmont townlet toxicant toxicologist tracksuit tract tradecraft traditionalist traducement trailerist trait. traject trampolinist tranquilest tranquillest transact transcendent transcendentalist transcript, transcriptionist transductant transect transept transfect transfixt transformationalist transhumant. transient transit translucent transmit transparent transplant transport transshipment trapezist trapnest, trapt trashiest trawlnet treat treatment trebuchet trebucket trembliest tremulant trenchant trendiest. trepidant tressiest tret trevet tribologist triboluminescent trichocyst trichologist trichromat trickiest. trickliest tricksiest tricot trident triggest trijet trimmest trinket triolet tripart triplet trippet trippiest, trisect tritest tritheist triumphalist triumphant trivalent trivet trivialist trombonist trophoblast trot trothplight, troubleshoot troubleshot trout troutiest truant truculent truest trumpet trust trustiest tryout tryst tsarist tubaist. tubbiest tubist tucket tuffet tuft tuftiest tugboat tumescent tumult turbit turbojet turboshaft turbot turbulent. turfiest turgent turgescent turnabout turncoat turnout turnspit turret tut twangiest twat tweakiest tweediest, tweet twiddliest twiggiest twilight twilit twiniest twinight twinjet twinset twirliest twist twistiest twit twitchiest twixt tympanist typecast typescript typeset typiest typist typologist tyrant tzarist tzitzit

Imak and Dvomak lessons :

rt:

abort abortion advertence advertize advertizement airport averted birth cart cartoon certain certificate certification certified chart charted charterer chert comfort compartment concert convert court courted courter courtier curtain dart depart department departure deport deported dirt divert earth earthquake ecarte effort entertain entertainment exert exerted exertion expert export exportation exported exporter extort extorted extortion fart farted farther firth forth fortification fortified fortunate fortune fourteen fourth frankfurt further furthered furthermore furtive headquarter heart heartbeat heartbreak heartbroken heartburn hertz hurt import importance important north nurture part participation partition partitioned partner partnered pertain pertinence perturbation pervert port proportion quart report reporter vertebrate virtue vortex

nment:

abandonment adjournment adornment alignment attainment concernment containment detainment entertainment environment environmental environmentally government governmental governmentally nongovernment nongovernmental ordainment

nst:

against nst brainstorm nst brainstormed nst brainstorming nst constant nst constantly nst constants nst constellate nst constellated nst constellates nst constellating nst constellation nst constellations nst constipate nst constipation nst constituent nst constitute nst constitutes nst constituting nst constitution nst constrain nst constrained nst constrains nst constraint nst constrict nst constriction nst construct nst constructing nst construction nst constructive  nst demonstrably nst demonstrate nst downstage nst downstairs nst einstein nst gainst nst gunstock nst install nst installation nst installed nst installer nst installing nst instance nst instant nst instantaneous nst instantiated nst instantiates nst instantiating nst instantiation nst instantly nst instead nst instinct nst instinctive nst instinctively nst institute nst institution nst instruct nst instructed nst instructing nst instruction nst instructional nst instructive nst instrument nst mainstream nst mainstreamed nst menstruation nst painstaking nst rainstorms nst reconstitute nst turnstiles

rst:

airstrike rst burst rst cornerstone rst counterstrike rst first rst firsthand rst hairstyle rst hairstyles rst hyperstatic rst hypersthene rst hypersthenes rst hypersthenic rst hyperstimulate rst overstate rst thirst rst thirsty rst thunderstorm rst thunderstorms rst understand rst understanding rst understands rst understood rst worst rst airstrike rst burst rst cornerstone rst counterstrike rst first rst firsthand rst hairstyle rst hairstyles rst hyperstatic rst hypersthene rst hypersthenes rst hypersthenic rst hyperstimulate rst overstate rst thirst rst thirsty rst thunderstorm rst thunderstorms rst understand rst understanding rst understands rst understood rst worst 

I actually expected that you could type in the nineties for 5 minutes when I saw your 87 WPM replay, but it seemed that you needed some work on accuracy and after you have worked for small period of time you have done it. My self, my accuracy due to alternation is very high and I was racing a couple of speed friends over typeracer who type 100+ there and it seemed that my accuracy is better than them on the death mode, I even managed to hit 130 WPM for easytext, but failed the capatch :).

@Tony I raced you a week ago. Man you seemed to be very slow now to me :), just kidding. BTW, I type now around 84WPM average for 5 minutes at high games, 94 WPM for one minute on http://speedtest.10fastfingers.com on Dvomak, and I type at around 45 WPM for 5 minutes on Imak. The first time I tried to type on Imak again it took me only 15 minutes to reach 35 WPM, my fingers remembered it very well amazing

Thanks, I'll try them out.

I decided to play some typeracer accuracy universe and what a surprise – a new record for both last 10 races and best race.
typeracer.png

Yes, type 98% normal speed with 100% accuracy get you a faster record than type 100% speed with 98% accuracy.

Typeracer accuracy universe is very tough at first, but then you gain momentum and can type 100% accuracy with confidence, although 5-10wpm slower.

I agree with you. Trying to maximize speed doesn't get you very far. Maximizing the accuracy on the other hand is the way to go. What you say about the momentum is definitely true but I wouldn't say it slows me down, just the opposite. It's usually faster, because when I'm concentrating on acc. I'm slowing down for only a couple of rows, till I get the momentum going, and then it's the same speed as before with better accuracy = better overal speed.

An update:
Typeracer Easy texts? Decided to try it again after a long while and it was quite fun. In the beginning of the session I had higher accuracy and much better overall results. Then I got caught up chasing high speeds (it's such a rush there). Basically I almost didn't drop under 100wpm and had a few races with my highest scores ever (top one 118 wpm), and funny enough most of them weren't 100% accuracy *sigh*.
racesp.png
That was all the races I did tonight. The ones before that are about 4 months old and more, I believe. I'm only training once or twice a week. I don't have time for more, really. Well I do have some, but I prefer to spend it other ways since it's very precious :)

Last edited by pafkata90 (03-Mar-2012 22:29:44)

Has anyone tried typing while listening to beatbox? I actually found it amazing, for pacing myself. When I listen to professionally made steady, fast rhythm , I consistently start typing all characters with the same intervals between and the tempo is usually very, very high. If I keep it up, it's not uncommon to have speeds above 110 wpm. I believe I'm trying to hit a key for each sound the guys make, which sometimes can be very challenging :)

If nothing else, it's a very fun thing to try.

PS: It works great for my accuracy, because I find this my main problem – hitting the fast keys very fast and slowing on the slower, which provokes many mistkaes like this one. So the rhythm helps a lot.

Last edited by pafkata90 (22-Apr-2012 14:58:15)

@pafkata90

Do you mean a metronome or software pulse generator?

Debian GNU/Linux Jessie NitroType TypeTest

I meant something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7pVIGGcNNc :)

@pafkata90

Thanks for the comment. ^^
Keyboard typing is intriguing activity. How to optimize right speed and accuracy to improve speed?
Bruce Lee said

... when there is an opportunity, I do not hit. It hits all by itself.

When I'm typing, I do not type. The fingers type all by themselves.

Debian GNU/Linux Jessie NitroType TypeTest