• You are not logged in.

Shift+Backspace = Ctrl+Backspace?

• Started by pafkata90
    • 7 Replies:

I'm sorry if someone has suggested this already but it just came to me and I decided to share. I love the Backspace on the CapsLock position but it bugs me to type Ctrl+Backspace, in which case most of the times I use LCtrl + R.Backspace. But today, out of the blue, it hit me that I could use R.Shift+L.Backspace. I hope this makes someone else's life at least a little easier :)

I use AutoHotkey for this btw.

I like Backspace in Capslock position too, but sometimes I wish I could do Shift- or Control-Capslock to turn Capslock on to type UPPERCASE.

Can Autohotkey do this? If so please show me the script.

A very simple

+BackSpace::CapsLock

should do the trick (Shift+BackSpace = CapsLock). You can make it so it works only with the right Shift if you want. In that case just put > sign in front of the +, like that:

>+BackSpace::CapsLock

If you want to use Ctrl instead of Shift, just replace the plus sign with ^ , like this:

^BackSpace::CapsLock

Again you can decide if you want to let only the left (<) or right (>) Ctrl to toggle CapsLock.

If you want this script to work only with the Qwerty CapsLock, and not the Qwerty Backspace (in other words – to work only with the key next to the letter A), you'll have to use scan codes. But I'm working with AutoHotkey since yesterday so I'm not quite there yet :) . It shouldn't be difficult though, I'm sure someone here can help you.

PS: These scrips work if Backspace is already mapped to CapsLock's position. If not, you've gotta change a few stuff and add a couple lines more, to get the functionality of a Backspace by default, but I find it easier to have it changed in the first place :) . And that way you don't require the script to be loaded to have Backspace set under your left pinky.

Last edited by pafkata90 (14-Nov-2011 05:32:52)

Thanks a lot, it works!

You're most welcome :) Glad to help.

Thank you for this. I needed some kind of CAPSLOCK option and this solves the problem nicely!

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne
    Creating brave new worlds, one word at a time . . .

No problem. You see how easy it is to do these kind of remapping with AutoHotkey. Plenty of possibilities even in the hands of a non-programmer, dealing with AHK for only a few days :) I use all kinds of shortcut combination with Alt/Ctrl/Shift+Space/CapsLock/Tab (and others) to do many things. I'm saying this just for inspiration, if you decide to go this way. And you're one foot in – since you're using Colemak, you should be up for optimisation and changes.

Sure, glad to help.

Since I'm using AHK anyway I decided to use it for the Caps → Backspace as well instead of making registry changes. It might take a little while to get used to how AHK deals with multiple remaps but it's quite straight forward.

Capslock::Backspace
    >+Capslock::Send, ^{Backspace}
    <+CapsLock::Send, {Del}

Here are three lines I'm using (among many others :D). In short:
    the first line makes hitting Capslock act as hitting Backspace
    the second makes hitting Right Shift + Capslock → Ctrl Backspace
    the third makes Left Shift + Capslock → Del

Basically what I'm trying to say is even though I've remaped Capslock to Backspace earlier in the script, I still refer to that key with it's original "name" (Capslock) not the new one.