• You are not logged in.

Lessons For Colemak beginners

• Started by nimbostratue
  • 52 Replies:
Harper_Jayne said:

These are pretty awesome. Once I need to really start working on accuracy I'll be sure to work some of these lessons. Thanks!

Welcome and Enjoy!

Here is how to one should practice the 1000 common words lesson in an effective way:

I place the common 1000 words in Amphetype program and do some settings as mention below  so that it will generate two lines of text like this:

"the of to the of to the of to and a in and a in and a in is it you is it
you is it you that he was that he was that he was"

and I set the program to allow me to keep practicing until I reached 100-98% accuracy and speed of my_Speed_at_hi-games_for_two_minutes_test + 10WPM, and when I pass this threshold I am allowed to continue to type the next to 2 lines from the 1000 words. In this way I learn the layout and practice the common words and bigrams (th,st,nt,ou,io,ea, etc....)at the same time.

In fact I do not type the 1000 words. I only typed them twice, but what I type is the first 130 to 150 words. Then I start again from the beginning and increase the threshold by extra +10WPM.

in theory and practice where I have tried this method with over 20 layouts you should be able to advance every day by 6-10 WPM till you reach 50 WPM. Once upon a time I practiced for only 2 hourse every day using this method, and I was advancing 6WPM+ each day. So you do not need to spend too much time typing in the beginning when you learn a layout. You should focus on increasing your muscle memory for the common bigaras and common words, which will help you to increase your speed quickly. This way will not train you for individual keys, it will train you for common biagrams, and you will notice that you are much faster typing bigrams than remembering key positions, but with the other lessons in my lessons thread, you can improve on this. I usually use this method exclusivly until I reach 28-30 WPM and then I start the other lengthey lessons in the lessons thread.

Amphetype settings that you should do 

1-From the preferences set "Try to limit text and lesson to between 100 and 100 characters"
2-then go t lesson generator and set "In gnerating lessons, I will make 3 copies the list below and divide them into sublists of size 3" then and paste the 1000 words, name the lesson and then click add to source.

3-in the sources tap set Repeat texts that don't meet the following requirements:

WPM         your_average_for_2_minutes_at high-games + 10WPM
Accuray         100 or 99%

and the other two fields to exactly the same values

then choose your lesson from the left side pane and double click on the first line in that lesson to start typing. Keep typing this line no matter what until you pass the threshold "do not hit Esc to jump to the other line. Let the program do it for you when you succeed"

Last edited by nimbostratue (06-Feb-2012 10:40:20)

If anyone is interested I have made a Lecture file for KTouch with these lessons, you can download it here.

OmeGa15 said:

If anyone is interested I have made a Lecture file for KTouch with these lessons, you can download it here.

Nice effort :), and sure they will come in handy