• You are not logged in.

Microsoft Word . . . really???

• Started by nhcowboy
    • 4 Replies:

You're kidding, right? NONE of the repositioned command keys are recognized in Word for Mac? So I'm typing along, minding my own business and I try to use "find and replace" . . . and forget about it, can't be done! WTF???

So I go back and check the forum and, yes, this is indeed mentioned. MS Word does not recognize the installed Colemak keyboard format, at least not for commands. And no one has a solution.

So, what I'm wondering is if anyone has since come up with a fix for this that works on a Mac. Or, alternatively, if there is a simple workaround that I'm just not aware of. (And, yes, there's a lot that I'm not aware of. Until a couple of hours ago, I didn't know that you could right-click the mouse to cut and paste . . . !!!) And, no, before you suggest it, using the toolbar is always an option, but it's ridiculously inconvenient.

Any suggestions?

You know, MS Word for Mac has always been a travesty afaik.

In the program you can set your keyboard shortcuts. It'd be a bit of work to repair all of them but you could always do your most needed ones?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks, Øystein! Will look for the way to do this.

Word for Mac 2008, Colemak, Find and Replace works fine on Snow Leopard. I've done nothing special, just the key commands.

Thought I'd throw that in, info is power!

An Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkey From Hell typing with Colemak saved my life!

Works for me. I'm using Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" and have Office 2008 at home and Office 2011 at work. Command + F brings up the search window as expected (that's the Colemak "F" in the QWERTY "E" position).

I tried with both the *.keylayout file from this site, as well as with the Colemak layout built-into the OS (since 10.7).

Last edited by boli (15-Apr-2012 09:33:12)