• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Experiences
  • Learning Colemak - but I don't touch-type in QWERTY :'(

Learning Colemak - but I don't touch-type in QWERTY :'(

• Started by Brian
    • 7 Replies:

Hi all!

So I've decided to learn Colemak. I do a fair amount of typing at work and I think it would help for me to be able to type faster, and also my hands have started hurting lately, even though I have a fancy-pants ergonomic keyboard, so hoping to stop that in it's tracks.  I spend most of my days in front of a computer so I thought this would be a lifelong skill, and just like the elitism of knowing I type in a better format than everyone else ;) haha.

So I'm building a desktop PC next month after Ivy Ridge comes out, and plan on getting a Colemak keyboard, or just a blank one if I have mastered touch-typing by then... that would be awesome.  I don't have super-high hopes though, but we'll see!

I currently don't look down all the time, but really only use like 4 fingers when typing. I think I can manage moderately fast but if I'm not looking down I have mistakes like crazy.

So all that to say, I hope I will be joining the ranks of you uber-users soon! I have already started practicing but it's rough b/c it assumes you can already touch-type I think.

Any tips or encouragement would be immensely helpful!
    Thanks lots!
    -Brian

Hey Brian, welcome to the community.

Learning to touch type is one of the most important things to do. Learning to touch type on a layout you haven't used before could be more challenging than to learn the one you already know the key placement, that's true. But if you say you do a fair amount of typing at work, I can assure you, that you're on the right path! And this is indeed a lifelong skill that you'll never regret to have spent time on gaining (as long as you don't give up). But don't discourage yourself. It will be a bit hard in the beginning but after you remember the key placement, your progress will keep you excited, and you'll go on easier from there.

Learning touch typing is the most important step. Learning an ergonomic layout like Colemak (because it's the best :P) is probably the second. Another one would be to buy an ergonomic hardware – keyboard, which you already have. So you're basically combining the two steps in one. It will be a bit challenging but you could still do the "old" typing at on Qwerty at work, while looking down, and learn Colemak touch typing home. Once you get to more decent speed and comfort, you can switch to Colemak at work as well.

Since they're two completely different typing styles (touch and "pecking"), it won't be as confusing as if you were touch typing both. That is my suggestion, as it would probably be less frustrating and less damaging on your work in the beginning. If you really want to go all in and you're ready to (and can) sacrifice some work productivity for a few weeks, you can switch to touch typing Colemak everywhere after a few days of learning the letter positions. You will progress faster, but it could be quite frustrating since you might not be as relaxed when you have work to do and your mind is occupied with all these new things.

I think everyone here will agree with me when I say that you don't need Colemak labelled keyboard. You could, of course, get one, but having the ability to look at the keys instead of forcing yourself to remember all of them could be bad thing. Also if you use a Qwerty keyboard, while typing Colemak, your brain will automatically map each Qwerty key with the corresponding Colemak key, which will make it easier when you're at work and have to type on the Qwerty keyboard. But this isn't something you should try doing in the beginning, it just happens by itself ;)

May I ask in what way are you learning at the moment? What software do you use? Because some might be more unfriendly than others if you're not already touch typist. Also it's a good idea to do a speed test of your current typing, just to compare to your progress later on.

Please, keep us posted with your progress and don't hesitate to ask anything related. Your experience will also be valuable for others who start learning touch typing with Colemak.

Last edited by pafkata90 (16-Apr-2012 01:48:16)

Hi Brian. Welcome to the Colemak forum.

Please choose the right timing when you have at least 2 weeks free or less of typing work so that Colemak learnings hopefully will not affect your credibility at work.

Since you have to learn both Colemak and touch typing at the same time you will have several rough weeks ahead. Be patient and don't expect too much too soon.

Your ring fingers and pinkies will hurt a bit, but I think you will get used to it in two weeks or so.

Your fingers will feel condensed and crowded since most of the time your fingers rest on the home row, which later will become trademark comfort feeling of Colemak over Qwerty.

Keep on practising and don't forget to post a few lines here to let us know about your progress. Just a few lines are enough, we understand that you are learning and typing very slowly.

Last edited by Tony_VN (16-Apr-2012 04:54:52)

Or if you want some challenge, you could share how was your day :P

Oh yeah: Don't overdo it, same as with other training. Take frequent little breaks, use that time to think about your posture and work ergonomy, stretch and shake loose, do some tai-qi-esque moves! :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Hi Brian.  I started learning Colemak on September 14, 2011.  I was a QWERTY hunt and peck typist managing only about 40 wpm at the very fastest and would constantly look at the keyboard to check my location.  When I had a few months off vacationing, I decided to try and learn to touch-type.  Initially I thought DVORAK would be the way forward and started doing some reading. Quickly I came across Colemak and and was instantly converted!  Now my average on typeracer is usually around 58 wpm, and steadily improving. I try to mostly concentrate on accuraccy, and it's paying off.  So - in summary - I did it, so you can too!

Cheers.

Edit: trying to distill the essence of my previous long ramble...

I had a lot of pain in my fingers when starting out, and I wasn't sure if it was a result of my layout (Dvorak), touch typing (I was new to it) or my typing style.  Were they just teething pains?

Touch typing is quite different from the hunt and peck style - and It took me a good while to get used to it.

Two years later, and I now feel that I'm reaping some benefits.  It is much easier on my hands and fingers, though I can still easily stress my body if I don't watch out.  Some days I simply can't type.  This can be a result of over doing it.  Sometimes it's environmental (too cold.)

I have suffered from computer related stress for at least six years - and I hoped that adopting a new layout and touch typing would alleviate or lighten my previous pains.  I don't know if this has made it more difficult for me to make the transition over from hunt and peck.  And don't know if it meant that I was more predisposed to new and different stresses.

That's my background (and my disclaimer,) sorry to be long winded.  I just wanted you to know that you weren't alone in feeling stress in your fingers, and that it get's easier over time purely a result from practice.   I'm mostly in agreement with the previous comments, apart from of course Colemak being the best layout.

Some advice:

* Get a mechanical keyboard (might be easier on your fingers)
    * Take it easy - don't over do typing drills (might put extra duress on your already stressed fingers)
    * Focus on accuracy
    * Don't swap your key caps - this will force yourself to type blind (you can swap them later if you really want to)
    * Measure your hunt and peck speed for future reference, and track your progress
    * Find a seasoned touch typist (preferably one that doesn't suffer from typing related pains) - watch, talk and learn from them

You might even want to save money on building that new PC, and spend it on a good chair, keyboard and monitor instead.

Last edited by pinkyache (01-May-2012 16:43:22)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Hi Brian,

I never learned to touch type as a kid.   Five years ago I discovered Colemak,  learned to touch type for the first time in my life.  Been happily touch typing with Colemak ever since.  Never used a blank keyboard or Colemak labeled keyboard, just don't look at the keys now except for numbers and some special chars

Love it.

• Index
      • Experiences
      • Learning Colemak - but I don't touch-type in QWERTY :'(