• You are not logged in.

Qwerty->Colemak->Qwerty

• Started by sjums
    • 3 Replies:

Good afternoon Colemak'ers

I would like to tell you about my short two month experience with colemak.

And before you are getting ready to get a slap in the face with a hand made of bad critisism, I can tell you that I only have positive things to say! :)

So my story is that I finished school and after the first coulpe of weeks unemployed it got boring. I spend a lot of time in front of my laptop, typing a lot. So i decided it was time to learn a new keyboard layout.. I had heard of Dvorak, but decided to investigate a bit further, and ended up liking the arguments for Colemak better than Dvorak.

I decided to take the cold turkey approach.. AUCH!!!! The first 3-4 days i had an average WPM of 3 but I kept fighting, going up steadyly, 12, 20, 25 and last i testet my skills (couple of days ago) I reached 35WPM. Using qwerty my WPM was 70-80 depending on the day and weather, you know?!

But now I've gotten a job! Hurray for me! And have decided it might be a good idea going back to qwerty again because there are chances that other people might operate my computer, and I'm not sure what my new workplace think about colemak :S

I know it's possible to change from one language to another pretty fast and it shouldn't be an excuse, and why would they bother with my keyboard layout??

Anyways, I'm going to 'safe mode' for a while (qwerty), and might return to colemak if it isn't a problem!

The reason I'm sharing this, is that I would like to tell you all something; Going from colemak to qwerty is a wonderfull improvent for my fingers and wrist. And I noticed now after changing back to qwerty how wonderful colemak is! :D I'll for sure return ASAP.

To sum up: I went from qwerty to colemak, fell in love, reached 35wpm in a month or so, changed back to qwerty because of work, still loves colemak!

May the force be stronger with you,
            sjums

How your workplace accommodates Colemak may vary. Even if mine is pretty strict IT-wise I'm able to run PKL on all my work machines (and on a portable USB stick as well, serving the rest). I can even set it to start up automatically when I log on. That's nice. On the Ubuntu Linux machine it's no problem either. Of course, some of my colleagues think I'm funny... :D

If your issue is one of typing speed, one approach would be using QWERTY by day, Colemak by night until you're fast enough. Another is using the Tarmak transitional layouts but in your case that might be a step back since you're already quite comfortable with using the whole Colemak.

Best of luck in any case! :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Depends on your IT dept, you can run colemak.exe
    http://www.ryanheise.com/colemak.exe

or PKL or fully installing Colemak on your computer. Please ask them, maybe you'll get what you need easily.

Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are right. Good luck with your new job; you can always come back to Colemak at the right time.

Last edited by Tony_VN (24-May-2012 18:21:43)

You don't need to install anything or adjust any top level settings if you use this AutoHotKey Script posted by another user.

Thread: https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1402

Download link: http://qnfauf.com/qtc.exe

I started using it today. Shift + Space toggles Colemak to QWERTY. I've accidentally set it off a few times just typing this paragraph but I can always go to the taskbar and close the process to go back to pure QWERTY.

Last edited by gerritvb (10-Jul-2012 15:35:06)