• You are not logged in.

My own odd touch typery...

• Started by WorldMaker
    • 3 Replies:

I've debated attempting Dvorak several times now, and Colemak looks interesting as well, but there is one particular hang up that I still can't decide if I should lose it or not and how that would affect picking up a different layout.  Basically, my left hand is just about always shifted left a key so that my left pinky is basically my dedicated accelerator finger (Esc (Vim-user's Caps Lock remap), Shift, Ctrl, sometimes Tab, Win, Alt) and is generally hovering above the Shift key.  I realize this is weird/uncommon, but I think that I have a perfectly good reason for this odd placement, partly because I seem to use the accelerators so often in a day and this keeps pinky stretches down a great deal...

I'm looking for suggestions?  Is it worth it to try learning Colemak even with my weird "touch typing limp"?  Should I really force myself the agony of rehoming my hands when typing?

I'm almost curious to see what an optimized layout for this odd positioning might look like... (ie, maybe try moving one of the columns of punctuation into that middle column opened up between the hands?)

I guess part of the problem for me is that I am having such a hard time making the leap from the theoretical benefits of a new keyboard layout to justifying the practical costs of relearning (partly because I never felt like learning things "correctly" the first time around...).

I really don't see how you can optimize a layout for this behaviour without putting the right pinky in a world of hurt. Remember that the right pinky is the most troubled one of the two already, having to cater for a whooping 16 or so keys! Most of them may be rarely used keys, but still. If you don't choose to lay the load on the right pinky, it'll be one of the already overworked index fingers that get the overload. I don't know if you've thought of a solution for this? It's an interesting dilemma.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Shai
    • Administrator

Colemak has its custom mapping for Vim and Escape is rarely used with it, so keeping that habit makes no sense if you're going to learn Colemak. Learning a new keyboard layout is also an opportunity to get rid of bad typing habits.

The rehoming itself shouldn't be too bad I think. After all, that bump on the keyboard is there for a reason and once your left index finger learns to seek it out it won't want to leave it again. At least, that's what I figure.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***