• You are not logged in.

DreymaR's Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks - PKL/Windows Edition!

• Started by DreymaR
  • 131 Replies:

I haven't implemented any dual-role functionality (yet). I find tapping Backspace an unnecessary exercise, as usually Caps+T+O or holding down Caps+O beats it in efficiency without having to hammer a key with a weak finger. I recommend using Ext+T+O a lot, as deleting and retyping the whole word should help you learn to type the word correctly. It's faster than you think to do it that way, and more productive than repeated backspacing in most cases.

Maybe I should add dual-role keys at some point, but generally I haven't seen the need for them yet.

Last edited by DreymaR (18-Dec-2018 09:55:03)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I see. It would be helpful in having dual Backspace/Extend function so we wouldn't need to make a choice between the two. I tend to use Caps Lock as Backspace where I can't run the Extend layer and having both makes it more consistent. On mac, mattmc3's script for Karabiner allows this dual functionality and it is awesome! I am not sure how difficult to implement on Windows though.  It would help those on the fence who use Caps Lock for Backspace to try Extend layer.

Thanks for creating Extend! I had a similar idea for custom function layers but it's great to have a standard that is well thought out. Also SpaceFN is awesome.

Hmmm, so maybe having just the Extend key as a dual-function key would be a good solution? It'd be a lot easier to implement than generic dual-role key mappings.

Yep. Hope it could be added in the future. Thanks!

UPDATE 2019-01

• @ecdf: The latest PKL_eD v0.4.7 does indeed support a dual-role Extend modifier! You can set a tap release entry and a tap time in the Settings .ini file.
• Furthermore, there's now Multi-Extend, meaning that you can set two modifiers (e.g., RAlt and RShift) that will work with the Extend key to select a layer.
• Also, layers may be one-shot so they return to another layer (usually Ext1) after an entry has  been sent.

• From PKL_eD v0.4.8 you can also have sticky a.k.a. one-shot modifiers. Tap the modifier, then the key you want modified within a specified time.

Read about all this in the main post and on Github! ^_^

Last edited by DreymaR (18-Jan-2019 21:26:28)

Hey DreymaR!

First thank you for delivering and maintaining that project! It's great to have an easy start, especially when there is a need for a locale adaption of the Colemak layout.

The problem is I have some little issues but I am not registered on github nor do I plan to dive into that platform. ;-)

For one on my working PC with Windows 10, Shift+Pos1 doesn't mark the whole line from cursor to the beginning of line. It's like ignoring the shift key. Mind that this happens in every text editing application. Interestingly this issue doesn't appear on my home PC with Windows 7.

But there I work with a software called Cockos Reaper, which relies heavily on shortcuts. Actually I came to Colemak because a user blogged this.
But for some reason Reaper won't accept the Del, Pos1, PicUp and Down key zone. Instead it receives the numbers from the number block. But the rest is working like expected - also the number block. :-)
Also there is a weird behaviour when holding a key with some functions in the software.

Any hints to troubleshoot?

I am already aiming at a hardware solution to avoid these issues. But at the moment the budget is pretty tight.

With best regards.

Hi! Glad you're enjoying EPKL!

Asking in here is totally okay. It's nice that we have several access channels. On the other hand, registering a GitHub account and reporting a bug isn't much work so if you do feel tempted to try at some point I can recommend it. ^_^ But I do understand that there are many platforms and little time.

By 'Pos1' you mean the 'Home' key, right? So Ext+S+L should select to the beginning of the line, as it does for me, but doesn't for you on your Win10 PC? Or did you mean the physical Shift and the physical Home keys – which also work for me? I really can't tell what's happening there, but you can try some debugging techniques:
• Turn on the "AHK Key History" from the EPKL menu (with AdvancedMode on as is the default). Press those keys then F5 to update its window.
• Try with physical Shift vs the Extend one. Ext+Shift+L works like Ext+S+L for me, since Shift isn't mapped to anything in the Extend layers.
• If you look in your BaseLayout.ini file, you can comment out the definitions of the offending keys and see if it makes a difference.

Same with the Cockos Reaper app: I don't know, but have a look at the key history and see if you notice anything interesting.

If you're indeed talking about the physical Home etc keys, then commenting out this part of the relevant BaseLayout.ini should work:

SC152 = INSERT  	VirtualKey
SC153 = DELETE  	VirtualKey
SC147 = HOME    	VirtualKey
SC14f = END     	VirtualKey
SC149 = PRIOR   	VirtualKey
SC151 = NEXT    	VirtualKey

This means that you cannot use those keys for Extend mappings. But you probably didn't need that anyway, and nowadays you can always use another Extend layer instead! Meanwhile, I use those keys with Extend to produce arcane demos like writing Colemak-ⲔⲰ[eD] or Θώθ with Koptic/Greek letters, calling the Emoji menu or summoning daemons:

Spoiler:
             ______             
 Col    .d$$$******$$$$c.  mak  
 \e/ .d$P"            "$$c \-/  
    $$$$$.     C     .$$$*$.    
  .$$ 4$L*$$.     .$$Pd$  '$b   
  $F   *$. "$$e.e$$" 4$F   ^$b  
 d$     $$   z$$$e   $$     '$. 
 $P  m  `$L$$P` `"$$d$"   k  $$ 
 $$     e$$F   C   4$$b.     $$ 
 $b  .$$" $$   o  .$$ "4$b.  $$ 
 $$e$P"    $b     d$`    "$$c$F 
 '$P$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  
  "$c.      4$.  $$       .$$   
   ^$$.  DH  $$ d$"  AW  d$P    
     "$$c.   `$b$F    .d$P"     
 CAW   `4$$$c.$$$..e$$P"   [eD] 
           `^^^^^^^`            
Last edited by DreymaR (12-Feb-2019 09:44:15)