• You are not logged in.

DreymaR's Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks - PKL/Windows Edition!

• Started by DreymaR
  • 129 Replies:

I haven't implemented any dual-role functionality (yet). I find tapping Backspace an unnecessary exercise, as usually Caps+T+O or holding down Caps+O beats it in efficiency without having to hammer a key with a weak finger. I recommend using Ext+T+O a lot, as deleting and retyping the whole word should help you learn to type the word correctly. It's faster than you think to do it that way, and more productive than repeated backspacing in most cases.

Maybe I should add dual-role keys at some point, but generally I haven't seen the need for them yet.

Last edited by DreymaR (18-Dec-2018 09:55:03)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I see. It would be helpful in having dual Backspace/Extend function so we wouldn't need to make a choice between the two. I tend to use Caps Lock as Backspace where I can't run the Extend layer and having both makes it more consistent. On mac, mattmc3's script for Karabiner allows this dual functionality and it is awesome! I am not sure how difficult to implement on Windows though.  It would help those on the fence who use Caps Lock for Backspace to try Extend layer.

Thanks for creating Extend! I had a similar idea for custom function layers but it's great to have a standard that is well thought out. Also SpaceFN is awesome.

Hmmm, so maybe having just the Extend key as a dual-function key would be a good solution? It'd be a lot easier to implement than generic dual-role key mappings.

Yep. Hope it could be added in the future. Thanks!

UPDATE 2019-01

• @ecdf: The latest PKL_eD v0.4.7 does indeed support a dual-role Extend modifier! You can set a tap release entry and a tap time in the Settings .ini file.
• Furthermore, there's now Multi-Extend, meaning that you can set two modifiers (e.g., RAlt and RShift) that will work with the Extend key to select a layer.
• Also, layers may be one-shot so they return to another layer (usually Ext1) after an entry has  been sent.

Read about all this in the main post and on Github! ^_^