• You are not logged in.

My switch to Colemak

• Started by Aleeneh
  • 32 Replies:

So I'm at an average of 65 wpm with 99% accuracy at the moment, again without rushing it, and I can safely say I'm becoming very comfortable with the keyboard. I haven't done much practice lately, so I haven't been upping my speed a lot at all, but right now I'm fast enough to keep up with my thoughts so much that I'm not bothered by it. It doesn't slow me down much, I believe. I'm confident that if I would go back to doing speed runs I could still improve a lot. When I get more free time later on in the week, I might just do that, too. It will be nice to match my old qwerty speed.
I haven't had any wrist pains, and although I will never know if that's truly because of the new keyboard layout, I'm grateful for it nonetheless.

Last edited by Aleeneh (29-Jan-2013 10:59:16)

I used another typing test which was in Dutch and for some reason I hit ±60 wpm with English tests and ±70-75 wpm for Dutch typing tests. Very strange. Have any other people experienced a similar thing? I wonder why this is.
Perhaps because most of my typing is done in Dutch and my hands are more used to it?

Last edited by Aleeneh (16-Feb-2013 18:40:08)

Yes, knowing the letter placement is like knowing the rules of chess. Fort typing fast and efficiently, you need practice to build muscle memory. The more you type on one language, the better you get at that language. On a language that you haven't typed for example, you'd be as fast as typing random characters in your first.

Good progress, keep it up!

Woah. TypeRacer tells me I'm nearing 80 wpm with my typing tests now. And these are English typing tests, so my English typing speed is truly improving a lot.
I keep hitting 80 wpm every now and then but then I can't keep it up for long and usually average around 77 wpm. I'm almost back on my old Qwerty level! (Which was 85 wpm)

And it has only taken me four months to get there. Over the last few days I've really been improving fast, so I'm confident that I'll reach it soon, and possibly even surpass it.

And how does it feel by comparison?

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

So. Much. Better. I feel much more comfortable typing like this. I have noticed that I don't make half the typing mistakes anymore that I used to. Also, I've become a touch typer who is able to type with ten fingers, instead of three. That already helps a lot, and then there's the comfortable feeling from Colemak which I really like. It feels so effortless. So enjoyable.

Sometimes I still get these periods in which I keep making mistakes and more mistakes all in a row, as if when I make one mistake I have to make twenty... but most of the time I'm fine and then I finally feel like I'm getting really fluent: I can almost keep up with the speed of my thoughts now. (or perhaps I simply think too fast? XD)

I know it's hard to quantify, but do you think the touch typing (with ten fingers) has significantly helped your condition or Colemak or both?

Perhaps comparing your old style typing to your new found touch typing with Colemak is like comparing apples and oranges.

I must admit, I was wary that you'd put an additional burden on your already stressed wrists with the change.   But the results sound like a resounding success.

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

A combination of the two. But I wasn't able to learn touch typing properly on Qwerty because I was used to doing it with three fingers. I'd automatically switch back as soon as I stopped thinking about what I was doing. This change to Colemak allowed me to relearn to type, as it were.

Thank you :-) I'm happy it worked out so well, too.

Edit: Oh, this makes me happy. 83 wpm with 98,9% accuracy. Twice. And I've been getting ~75-80 wpm scores easily all day.

Last edited by Aleeneh (03-Apr-2013 18:39:36)