• You are not logged in.

The word "you"

• Started by youBane
  • 58 Replies:

The word "you" comes up a lot as I practise typing in Colemak, but it isn't easy to roll.

That's my observation (nee complaint). I suppose I can say a bit more. I practise using typingtesthq.com. I'm up to 30 wpm.

Last edited by youBane (26-Oct-2013 20:00:07)

You/your is a top word in English.

You will find your way to type "you" word yourself efficiently.

Yours faithfully,

I switched cold-turkey exactly a week ago (October 19), and it was only the first couple of days that I had a problem with typing "you". Now its pretty effortless, and I can roll it pretty quickly. I can type up to 45wpm now, but it's the letters on the home row that mess me up. I always switch "e" with "s" for some reason, even though they're on different hands.

Last edited by morecoffeeplease (27-Oct-2013 03:08:55)

I still hate typing the words 'you' and 'young' after switching to Colemak 4½ months ago.

I find "you" very easy to roll (didn't when I started, though). And if you're coming from Qwerty, that's the reason you're swapping E with S. The E is still under the middle finger but swapped. It's funny how muscle memory works sometimes.

For some reason, my banes are 'their' 'them' 'then' and a few others (according to Amphetype). Not sure why but I think I'm a victim of the 'teh'. ;)

I kinda like 'you', but I'm a piano-playing masochist and get why you don't. The key to success with that one is finger strength and independence, so start practicing an instrument...

Last edited by DreymaR (28-Oct-2013 09:19:33)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

people used to be an issue but now I like it

could, should, would taxed me for a bit

between and government are killing me at the moment

I'm up to ~35 wpm average now. No matter how many times I practise in a day, I don't really see improvement. But after I sleep, the next day, my average suddenly goes up a few wpm.

At this point, Colemak is screwing with my Qwerty. But that's expected. And, yeah, I notice weird cross-overs, like how E is on the middle finger in both layouts, that don't correspond to either layout. For example, I might hit D (Qwerty) when trying to type E (Colemak) because it's the mirror image (Qwerty left hand for E, but Colemak home row middle finger).

I feel that the cold-turkey method is the only way to see drastic improvement. I've been going on 11 days now, and I can comfortably type around 50wpm on average (from the 15wpm I was at the first couple of days). If I were doing QWERTY by day and Colemak by night, I think I'd confuse the layouts much more than I am right now. But full-immersion isn't possible for a lot of people who have jobs that require them to type, so improvement is probably going to be slower than it could be.

It's about the balance between speed and accuracy. We go back and forth between them.

The cost of drastic improvement of speed is the lower accuracy. To improve accuracy from 90% to 98% may take months.

Last edited by Tony_VN (30-Oct-2013 03:18:15)

I'm up to 40 wpm with 98% accuracy. I've played 100 games at http://typingtesthq.com/. I believe that my performance will be some positive correlation of how many games I play. So I note my progress as how many wpm I have with at least 95% accuracy after how many games I've played. The 95% accuracy is arbitrary. I figure if it's good enough for science (and D&D), then it's good enough for me.

Rolling "you" has become easier for me. Lately I have trouble mixing up QWERTY 'S' with COLEMAK 'S' (i.e., when typing in COLEMAK I type 'R' when I meant to type 'S').

I'd up the accuracy threshold to 98% maybe - that level seems to be accurate enough to feel like your 'flowing not fighting' as it were

ignore the 50 wpm in 10 days brigade! they are the far right of the bell curve for sure..

I've totally plateau'd about 50 wpm and now seem to be getting slower, but this seems to be the nature of the beast - at some point you get out of bed on the other side and your wpm leaps by 10 as you say..

I've been learning since June so 5 months now..

It has become comfortable to type in Colemak, but I've hit a plateau around 40 wpm--accuracy is 98%. I've played 168 games.

You should try to increase accuracy to 99% for fun. Speed will steadily increase over time.

378 games and I finally broke 50 wpm. Progress is definitely slowing down, but isn't stopping; Accuracy is still at 98%.

Progress follows a log curve, so the faster speed, the slower the progress. Trying to increase accuracy is easier when you reach the speed limit.

I'd planned to update every 10 wpm of increase, but progress is just too slow. Nonetheless, I am making progress.

I'm at 55 wpm w/ 98% accuracy after 545 games, 1 month and 1 week.

A good thing is that it's getting easier to switch back and forth between QWERTY and Colemak. For a while I couldn't type QWERTY without looking down at the keys.

It isn't the word "you" that bothers me anymore. Now it's the word "people".

Last edited by youBane (04-Dec-2013 19:04:37)

According to Amphetype, my most difficult words are "children", "behind", and "where".

It's only as I approach 60 wpm that I feel Colemak begins to flow. That is, it's noticeably easier to type thak QWERTY. I got comfortable with it around 40 wpm (that is, typing all day at work in it), but now I'm starting to feel it's advantage. I type about 80 wpm in QWERTY, so it's still a ways until I surpass that.

40wpm seems to be a common turning point where the frustration goes away, 50wpm for me was a plateau for a long time then all of a sudden my speed randomly started increasing slowly again, now at 60-65wpm I don't feel the urge to try to get faster, but rather work on typing comfort.

Hard word of the day, point.

My QWERTY speed has tanked to 15 wpm. That's when I'm coming back from Colemak. I've been typing QWERTY for about 15 years, so it's long since become unconscious. When I have to think about the keys, I find I don't actually know where they are! So, in addition to learning Colemak, I'm relearning QWERTY. Of course, once I get into the rhythm of it, if I just stop thinking about the keys, I'm back up to 80 wpm. It's just the transitioning that's so damned hard.

Specifically, I've turned off Colemak at the moment because I'm learning how to use Folding in VIM.

You was one the first words I got down easily while learning still having more trouble with some of the words
on the home row more, but i've only been learning for about ten hours so far.

Sites: Gnolls.org, agenda21.us, pleasuredome.org.uk

I typed solely in QWERTY during the holidays. I was surprised to find today that I didn't lose much. My Colemak typing speed is still about 50 wpm. Though my accuracy suffered a little (97%, down from 98%).

VIM is currently my biggest conflict with Colemak. There is a VIM remapping for Colemak, but it's too complicated for me. I don't understand all of what's going on. I do believe some features are missing, such as folding. I saw folding in the comments and tried uncommenting it, but couldn't get it to work. And there's the problem. It's easy enough to learn some new VIM feature by looking it up on the web, but it's too complicated for me to then figure out what the remapping in Colemak is.

I discovered the Solarized theme recently and want to use it. Of course, there is a nice theme file to use Solarized with VIM.

It seems for now that I'll just continue to learn Colemak, VIM, and Solarized separately until I understand enough to get everything I want together.

I posted in the vim section but I actually prefer the vim mapping I'm using over the one posted by Shai. Essentially the mode changes are completely in qwerty but when you start typing it's colemak.  That way all of the built up memory of my vim commands are still valid and when I type I get the comfortness of colemak.

It might be a bit confusing for some but I personally like it and have been using it for about 2 months now.

Essentially, I use vim out of the box because most mappings are mnemonic (I think 'yank' so it should be on 'y'). The arrows I use are on the Extend mappings anyway. Other than arrows, I don't see the point in remapping keys for vim as it'll only make it awkward to use vim on other machines and that's kind of the point to vim if you ask me!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***