• You are not logged in.

Favor - ColemakDH Portable Executable

• Started by juice43
    • 4 Replies:

Hey guys, I've been using the Colemak DH for a while on my Mac, but I can't use it at work stuck with Qwerty or normal Colemak.

Normal Colemak is even more frustrating to use than Colemak DH. Would it be possible to make an AutoHotKey executable and host it somewhere so that I can do it.

I'm not allowed to upload nor run .ahk over the exe but I can run a standalone exe at work (I don't have my own Windows computer, I just use a workstation or someone's computer when I need to help them.)

I would totally be happy with that. I used to make do with ryanheise's hosting of the colemak.exe.

My full format is:

QWFPBJLUY
    ARSTGMNEIO
      XCDVZKH

EDIT: Had two M's before, now showing the H in bottom row.

Thank you if that can be done.

Last edited by juice43 (11-Mar-2017 17:36:35)

Colemak typist

I'm sure there are possible solutions... although I don't totally understand, if you can run an arbitrary exe, what would be wrong with running autohotkey with an ahk mapping script?

There is a some discussion here of being able to run a renamed Autohotkey.exe and it will automatically run an ahk script with the same name.

Another option worth looking at if you want a simple executable would be PKL.

Addendum: An alternative nice solution for your situation might be the USB-to-USB converter. Then you wouldn't need to do anything software-related to the target computer.

Last edited by stevep99 (11-Mar-2017 12:35:12)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Can't you use PortableKeyboardLayout with my files (or make your own)? If you haven't seen it yet, take a look at my sig topic.

Are you going to run PKL/AHK from a USB drive? If so, then maybe as SteveP says a USB-2-USB converter might be just as handy for you! It can do a lot of nice things, and with my files you can get both flavours of Colemak-DH (you have Steve's DvbgHm with ANSI Angle-Z it seems) out of the box – and more!

Last edited by DreymaR (11-Mar-2017 12:46:10)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Hey guys, thanks for the support.

Drag and drop is disabled sometimes. I didn't know if the .ahk and .exe files had the same name, the .exe ran the script.

I've opted with this method since it lends itself to easy modifications in the future, if needed.

I can test it on Monday with no hassle, no Windows for now. Don't see why it wouldn't work, but PKL is next otherwise.

Colemak typist

Short of PKL (which I'll heartily recommend):

I think you could include your script path as an argument in a Windows shortcut, to make ahk.exe run it upon double-clicking the shortcut (or putting it in your startup folder, if that's allowed)?

Also, I think ahk.exe is set to look for a script with the same name as the executable in the same folder, if I've understood this correctly:

Distribute AutoHotkey.exe + your_script.ahk
    Rename AutoHotkey.exe to your_script.exe
    Running your_script.exe (via double-click, command line, etc.) will run your_script.ahk

Both should be in the same directory.

That's what SteveP was saying too, isn't it?

Last edited by DreymaR (12-Mar-2017 20:18:05)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***