• You are not logged in.

my arst-dh-neio experience

• Started by abhixec
  • 80 Replies:
ckofy said:

I will never buy that kind of "sudo-programmable" keyboards after I found out what the real programmable keyboards utilizing QMK can do.

what keyboard are you using?

Last edited by abhixec (07-Aug-2017 03:39:05)
abhixec said:
ckofy said:

I will never buy that kind of "sudo-programmable" keyboards after I found out what the real programmable keyboards utilizing QMK can do.

what keyboard do you have?

Talking about programmable keyboards, I have Planck, Let's Split, and Ergodox Infinity. Yes, they are all non-staggered, all programmed with QMK (Ergodox Infinity as well). I also have KUL ES-87 which is mechanical but not programmable and which I use at work now in change with Planck. I'm planning to retire KUL 87 it in near future and switch completely to ortholinear and programmable keyboards. Not sure about Ergodox, I think I will use Let's Split or similar to it split keyboard as a main and Planck as a travel keyboard.

my current typing test result seems like I am hovering in the ~50wpm range need to up it to 70-80 in the next few months.
knPeB1v.png

Last edited by abhixec (11-Aug-2017 02:11:35)

My first suggestion would be to mostly ignore raw speed and get accuracy to around 97% (with a long-term target of 98%+). This is important both for comfort and speed.

When typing normally, I usually delete the whole word if I mistype (Extend+T+O or Ctrl+Back), forcing me to retype the whole word correctly. This is often more pleasant anyway, but also lets me train that word better.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

My first suggestion would be to mostly ignore raw speed and get accuracy to around 97% (with a long-term target of 98%+). This is important both for comfort and speed.

When typing normally, I usually delete the whole word if I mistype (Extend+T+O or Ctrl+Back), forcing me to retype the whole word correctly. This is often more pleasant anyway, but also lets me train that word better.

Thanks I am working on improving my accuracy

Last edited by abhixec (11-Aug-2017 22:10:57)

Improving the accuracy is turning out to be much more harder than I thought. My fingers seem to constantly type/press the keys *sighs* guess I need to control myself from prematurely pressing keys and being trigger happy about pressing keys.

Last edited by abhixec (14-Aug-2017 04:07:08)

Try typing with an even flow for a while. It may help against "hasty fingers". ;-)

The guy who made Amphetype was very concerned with evenness, or "viscosity" as he called its opposite. I don't think it should be an overshadowing principle, but it has its benefits. A good typist can slow down and speed up as needs dictate, speeding through the easy stuff while maintaining accuracy in the difficult parts.

Last edited by DreymaR (14-Aug-2017 12:31:35)

My accuracy has gone up to 96% with a lot of relearning. I just figured out that for me more difficult thing are the following keys : r,s which I seem to confuse with qwerty still even though I haven't used it in 2 months now. I need more typing practice since my fingers still are typing qwerty keys every now and then when I encounter new words.
Edit: another thing is that when I have to type/repeat a few keys in succession, typing recently typed keys-  I tend to mistype. My accuracy is still not constantly at 96% though *sighs*

Last edited by abhixec (18-Aug-2017 18:19:09)

Two months isn't a world of time. That accuracy is almost there, so don't worry. Just try to keep your calm because stress isn't going to help your learning. Typing is fun! ;-)

At that point I think that more practice will help, yes. I still type books with Amphetype, that gives nice mileage.

DreymaR said:

Two months isn't a world of time. That accuracy is almost there, so don't worry. Just try to keep your calm because stress isn't going to help your learning. Typing is fun! ;-)

At that point I think that more practice will help, yes. I still type books with Amphetype, that gives nice mileage.

Yes practice is something I really need to dedicate time  for every day. Which I am not currently doing(able to do) on  a regular basis.
EDIT : my personal best with accuracy:
OpanjeO.png
I was able to achieve 62wpm but only on one occasion

Last edited by abhixec (19-Aug-2017 02:51:52)

my personal best so far:
EcpPv9S.png
I am practicing in https://www.keyhero.com/free-typing-test/ as they have a good mixture of punctuation and my accuracy takes a big hit on that along with my speed. So thought that it would be a good way to practice and improve my accuracy.

Last edited by abhixec (23-Aug-2017 03:56:19)

Yeah, that's a good one! And you clearly see that speed follows in the wake of accuracy. I think it's not accuracy per se but the unbroken flow that can only exist in the presence of high accuracy – if that makes any sense. :-)

Last edited by DreymaR (23-Aug-2017 08:29:13)

DreymaR said:

Yeah, that's a good one! And you clearly see that speed follows in the wake of accuracy. I think it's not accuracy per se but the unbroken flow that can only exist in the presence of high accuracy – if that makes any sense. :-)

Yes I clearly am seeing that my WPM increases with accuracy. But every now and then I get caught up with typing fast that I forget that I need to get the keys right first then slowly work my way up to get the speed but I see what you mean :)

two days I was away from the keyboard and my accuracy has gone down :( any one else faced this issue?
my typing is all messed up don't know why? :( it seems as though my muscle memory has forgotten about the layout.

Last edited by abhixec (30-Aug-2017 06:19:17)

Yeah, that can happen. Don't sweat it, it doesn't mean anything serious.

Sometimes, learning is like walking a meandering path. But then suddenly you find yourself at a higher altitude with new views. It's beautiful. ;-)

Thanks, that is slightly comforting to hear but I don't know why my accuracy takes a hit every day in the morning. It seems like my hands need like a warmup period, has that happened at all?
by now I thought that my hands should kind of just get the keys right, I am still having issues with typing the right keys when I am typing a new word is that expected?
Edit: does any one else find it hard/slow to type duckduckgo?

Last edited by abhixec (07-Sep-2017 16:51:41)

new personal best, still my accuracy isn't that consistent.
HSMXxqx.jpg
73wpm.

That's nice! It's as good as I can do on a normally good day. :-)

I am still not able to touch that speed consistently still trying to improve.
But I agree with your earlier post, improving the accuracy is more important than speed (working on maintaining accuracy also as we speak).

Last edited by abhixec (21-Sep-2017 19:12:28)

5ZzIIBt.jpg
I am kind of plateaued at 60wpm with accuracy lingering at 95->98%.
Any tips on getting better in terms of speed and accuracy?

Last edited by abhixec (28-Sep-2017 13:38:58)

The Typing of the Dead has some fun speed and accuracy drills. See my Big Bag topic.

Thanks I will take a look at that. Also, I am not able to get amphetype working on my Mac has anyone had any luck with that?

you've installed python right?

bph said:

you've installed python right?

Macs come with Python preinstalled

This is really weird my accuracy has gone down again and I seem to be typing the wrong keys again. Is this natural?