• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Experiences
  • At 120+ WPM on QWERTY, is it worth the switch to Colemak?

At 120+ WPM on QWERTY, is it worth the switch to Colemak?

• Started by esplanade
  • 31 Replies:

Or you can memorize where the keys for the QWERTY home row are so that you can fake your mashing!

...or not.

Two months later, I finally broke 100 WPM.  Today, I hit 102 on Typing Test!  I think I stopped diligently practicing and testing myself after two weeks, so... XP

My next goal?  Surpass 120 WPM.

Nowadays, I look around at people at my uni typing on their laptops in QWERTY... and I laugh to myself as I watch their fingers fly around.  Maybe one day I'll bring my laptop and just type quietly in Colemak and compare to their QWERTY flailing.  :P

esplanade said:

Two months later, I finally broke 100 WPM.  Today, I hit 102 on Typing Test!  I think I stopped diligently practicing and testing myself after two weeks, so... XP

My next goal?  Surpass 120 WPM.

Nowadays, I look around at people at my uni typing on their laptops in QWERTY... and I laugh to myself as I watch their fingers fly around.  Maybe one day I'll bring my laptop and just type quietly in Colemak and compare to their QWERTY flailing.  :P

wow you hit 100+ so quickly...that's great. So is practice the main reason that you've reached such a speed so fast?

esplanade said:

...and they're probably laughing to themselves thinking about how you "wasted" 2+ months of lost productivity only to end up 20+% slower. ;)

By the way, can you give us details on your practicing methods? I stalled at the 80wpm mark (although on hi-games, I could hit 85wpm sometimes) so I just gave up and went back to a modified dvorak.

(Also, when I stopped practicing for a week, my speed dropped to between 60-75wpm, so I guess I'm different in that respect.)

Have you encountered any words/phrases you don't particularly like typing on colemak? Which words/phrases are you fastest at typing?

Thanks, and congrats on breakin' 100!

I am in a similar position to where you were. I was at 120+ on QWERTY (gained, I think, by "pressure-typing" and a piano-player's dexterity) and hopefully I can also make quick progress with Colemak. :-)

However, I know it will be difficult as I am comparing against 1000's of hours of QWERTY. If you asked me to type a letter on QWERTY then I probably couldn't do it most of the time! , but I had thousands of common words "under my fingers", and I fear I will not be able to replicate that kind of parsing in Colemak for years.

I too am interested in your methods esplanade. I have just switched to Colemak today from QWERTY (about 50 wpm), and am keen to know how you managed to learn the new layout so quickly.

Kolya said:

I am in a similar position to where you were. I was at 120+ on QWERTY (gained, I think, by "pressure-typing" and a piano-player's dexterity) and hopefully I can also make quick progress with Colemak. :-)

Piano playing should definitely help you with Colemak.  Even though I am more of a cocktail/jazz player myself,  I certainly found the ideas of rolls and the light whole arm movement some classically trained friends have shown me to be of help in technique with Colemak.

• Index
  • Experiences
  • At 120+ WPM on QWERTY, is it worth the switch to Colemak?