• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Non-staggered keys AKA matrix or grid layout, especially the Kinesis

Non-staggered keys AKA matrix or grid layout, especially the Kinesis

• Started by boli
  • 81 Replies:
input nirvana said:

My suggestion on Colemak layout legend on the Kinesis: No legends. The Kinesis forced me to learn to touch type. Plus, with Colemak, there is so much less moving off home row...it's much easier.

They'd help a lot for one-handed typing.

input nirvana said:

Media keys? You don't use the F-keys as media keys? I just started a few months ago and like it. But you're right, it can be better.

No, I've mapped F6, F7, and F8 to prev, next, and play/pause in GNOME. Of the three most used F-keys (4, 5, and 11), they managed to use all of them for the built-in multimedia keys. Unacceptable.

input nirvana said:

You don't like the 2nd layer numpad?

Switching modes does not take long time, but it's a mental burden compared to having a dedicated numpad.

input nirvana said:

Menu key? Is that for windows? (I'm OSX)

Yes, at least according to the Wikipedia article. I see no reason why the concept of a context menu is unique to Windows, though. And it is available on the Advantage as Pause/Break in embedded mode so you can map it somewhere else, but I'd like to have an extra key for that since I'm already using them all.

input nirvana said:

I don't think the doubleshots from the old Kinesis boards are that great. I had high expectations though. They are nice, but I bet we can do better. My next goal is to mold keys (I agree with the cheap sounding key statement), have you tried O-rings? They are a big plus.

I'll see where I can find some O-rings and try :-)

input nirvana said:

There is a new thread on Geekhack (and I'm posting the info in the Split Kinesis article) about key cap info...it's not done, but check it out for reference.. 
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?2344 … imitations

Done!

The Menu key is the one with a little menu on it (doh!); it works as well in Ubuntu at least as in Windows.

I too think that the F keys double nicely as Media keys. I haven't yet managed to set it up in X11 but I'm working on it (using a lvl5 modifier most likely - mine is Caps).

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

erw said:
input nirvana said:

My suggestion on Colemak layout legend on the Kinesis: No legends. The Kinesis forced me to learn to touch type. Plus, with Colemak, there is so much less moving off home row...it's much easier.

They'd help a lot for one-handed typing.

input nirvana said:

Media keys? You don't use the F-keys as media keys? I just started a few months ago and like it. But you're right, it can be better.

No, I've mapped F6, F7, and F8 to prev, next, and play/pause in GNOME. Of the three most used F-keys (4, 5, and 11), they managed to use all of them for the built-in multimedia keys. Unacceptable.

input nirvana said:

You don't like the 2nd layer numpad?

Switching modes does not take long time, but it's a mental burden compared to having a dedicated numpad.

input nirvana said:

Menu key? Is that for windows? (I'm OSX)

Yes, at least according to the Wikipedia article. I see no reason why the concept of a context menu is unique to Windows, though. And it is available on the Advantage as Pause/Break in embedded mode so you can map it somewhere else, but I'd like to have an extra key for that since I'm already using them all.

input nirvana said:

I don't think the doubleshots from the old Kinesis boards are that great. I had high expectations though. They are nice, but I bet we can do better. My next goal is to mold keys (I agree with the cheap sounding key statement), have you tried O-rings? They are a big plus.

I'll see where I can find some O-rings and try :-)

input nirvana said:

There is a new thread on Geekhack (and I'm posting the info in the Split Kinesis article) about key cap info...it's not done, but check it out for reference.. 
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?2344 … imitations

Done!

I was pretty satisfied until you pointed out all the little reasons that I used to be annoyed with. Glad it's not just me.

Some items you point out are being taken care of in the Split Kinesis mod article.

An Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkey From Hell typing with Colemak saved my life!

input nirvana said:

I was pretty satisfied until you pointed out all the little reasons that I used to be annoyed with. Glad it's not just me.

Some items you point out are being taken care of in the Split Kinesis mod article.

Well, I opened my Kinesis today, just to have a look. You have a bad influence on me ;-)

I also ordered a few keycaps from wasd yesterday. I'll post pics when I get them.

OH MY GOD! DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING ON THE INSIDE!!!!!

Just kidding.

Welcome to the club :)

An Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkey From Hell typing with Colemak saved my life!

Thread on Geekhack. Trying to have the ability to get blank or custom key caps for the Kinesis Advantage. I've been getting help from WASD Keyboards (who ships internationally) so he will be able to offer complete, customized key sets in various colors, laser, etched, etc.

This is the actual post (that I've been updating) that shows what I'm working out:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?2344 … post477340

If you have any info or input, please chime in, any help is appreciated!

boli said:
erw said:

[...]I'm asking about how easy it is to use keypad mode.[...]

[...]You cannot move (remap) the keypad mode activation key[...]

Sordna at geekhack told me that it is in fact possible to remap the keypad activation key if you have a footswitch. Apparently I missed this in the manual:

The Keypad Shift action turns on the embedded numeric keypad only while the foot switch
remains depressed. It cannot be remapped to another location, although a Keypad toggle
action may be remapped to a key or foot pedal using the Keypad Shift action as the source

• Index
  • General
  • Non-staggered keys AKA matrix or grid layout, especially the Kinesis