• You are not logged in.

Harper's Colemak: The Ongoing Saga

• Started by Harper_Jayne
  • 92 Replies:
Harper_Jayne said:

15 WPM and 93% accuracy with the 1000 most common words exercise. Man that one takes a lot of time when you type this slowly.

hmm. I do not think that you are practicing this lesson efficiently. In fact You should not type the 1000 words at all especially at your current speed, it is totally a waste of time. Here what you should do:

I place the common 1000 words in Amphetype program and do some settings as mention below  so that it will generate two lines of text like this:

"the of to the of to the of to and a in and a in and a in is it you is it
you is it you that he was that he was that he was"

and I set the program to allow me to keep practicing until I reached 100-98% accuracy and speed of my_Speed_at_hi-games_for_two_minutes_test + 10WPM, and when I pass this threshold I am allowed to continue to type the next to 2 lines from the 1000 words. In this way I learn the layout and practice the common words and bigrams (th,st,nt,ou,io,ea, etc....)at the same time.

In fact I do not type the 1000 words. I only typed them twice, but what I type is the first 30 to 50 words. Then I start again from the beginning and increase the threshold by extra +10WPM.

in theory and practice where I have tried this method with over 20 layouts you should be able to advance every day by 6-10 WPM till you reach 50 WPM. Once upon a time I practiced for only 2 hourse every day using this method, and I was advancing 6WPM+ each day. So you do not need to spend too much time typing in the beginning when you learn a layout. You should focus on increasing your muscle memory for the common bigaras and common words, which will help you to increase your speed quickly. This way will not train you for individual keys, it will train you for common biagrams, and you will notice that you are much faster typing bigrams than remembering key positions, but with the other lessons in my lessons thread, you can improve on this. I usually use this method exclusivly until I reach 28-30 WPM and then I start the other lengthey lessons in the lessons thread.

Amphetype settings that you should do 

1-From the preferences set "Try to limit text and lesson to between 100 and 100 characters"
2-then go t lesson generator and set "In gnerating lessons, I will make 3 copies the list below and divide them into sublists of size 3" then and paste the 1000 words, name the lesson and then click add to source.

3-in the sources tap set Repeat texts that don't meet the following requirements:

WPM         your_average_for_2_minutes_at high-games + 10WPM
Accuray         100 or 99%

and the other two fields to exactly the same values

then choose your lesson from the left side pane and double click on the first line in that lesson to start typing. Keep typing this line no matter what until you pass the threshold "do not hit Esc to jump to the other line. Let the program do it for you when you succeed"

For my own experience it was around 25-30wpm speed where my confidence in Colemak was enough to drop Qwerty totally and use Colemak full time.

Since you go cold turkey, your mileage may vary.

TypeFaster lessons are easier than Typing Master Pro or other typing tutors, of course. I stick to Typing Tutor 7 to measure my speed.

My signature are two typing games you may find interesting.

I don't think that any typing is a waste of time at this point. No matter what it is that I am typing I am sending new commands to my fingers. Practice more than anything else is what makes our brains start to change.

I am not at this point using Amphetype but I may look at it later today. Your lessons thread only once mentions it after all. :) If this is the method you indeed recommend I would suggest adding a new post (I have not seen one where you talk about how you suggest using the lessons) and linking to it from the top of the lessons thread.

Thank you for the advice. I will of course report back with my progress. (After the Super Bowl!)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne
Creating brave new worlds, one word at a time . . .

Harper_Jayne said:

I don't think that any typing is a waste of time at this point. No matter what it is that I am typing I am sending new commands to my fingers. Practice more than anything else is what makes our brains start to change.

I am not at this point using Amphetype but I may look at it later today. Your lessons thread only once mentions it after all. :) If this is the method you indeed recommend I would suggest adding a new post (I have not seen one where you talk about how you suggest using the lessons) and linking to it from the top of the lessons thread.

Thank you for the advice. I will of course report back with my progress. (After the Super Bowl!)

Let us say not a waste of time but rather ineffective and time consuming. If you practice this way it will take you long time, and I am telling you from around 2 years researching experience due to wrist injury. I think I have mentioned amphtype and the process slightly above the lesson in the thread. I wrote :
"
you can add your lessons by going to the lesson generator tap, and the program will created either a single copy or multiple copes of each word interleaved according to the selection made int the field:
" In generating....X copies ...... size Y"
for example if you pasted the text "about the" and chose
X,Y --> Out put will be
2,2 --> about the about the
2,1 --> about about the the
I usually choose (3,4)
then you save your lesson by naming it at the bottom of the program and hit "Add to Source"
After that you go to the "Sources" tap, and you can find it there. To type your lesson Select in the Selection method drop menu "In Order", expand your lesson, and double click on the text you see. The nice thing about the program is that it keep repeating the same chunks of text all over again to you until you go above a certain WPM and Accuracy, which you can adjust in the "Sources" tap.

And Here More Lessons:
( you can paste it in Amphetype with interleaving x,y = 3,4. This what I have done)

Most common 1000 words (From the web)
"

and I expanded on this on Jin thread
https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1123   where I posted some lessons there  related to Dvorak layout.

if you want nice typing tutors then I recommend mavis beacon 17 delux (includes dictation lessons), Typing instructor platinum (very nice and includes dectation). For accuracy and to practice each key separately, Use typer shark game posted by tony it is great for increased accuracy.
Finally, you might be interested to check my pearl http://pear.ly/OoZL

How do you manage to learn the full layouts then? 30-50 words is maybe 6 lessons. So many letters are not in those lessons.

I am doing 20 WPM at 99% accuracy now and am on lesson 5 but I am confused as to how I will have real ability when many of the keys are ignored. (I get that they are the less common ones but still they are used in regular typing.)

In essence as I read the suggested course it is to do about six lessons and that will be:

the of to and a in is it you that he was
for on are with as I his they be at one have
this from or had by hot word but what
some we can out other were all there when
up use your how said an each she which
do their time if will way about many then

Letter frequency is then:
a   18
b   4
c   3
d   5
e   21
f   4
g   0
h   21
i   13
j   0
k   0
l   4
m   4
n   9
o   17
p   1
q   0
r   10
s   9
t   19
u   7
v   1
w  11
x   0
y   6
z   0

So no g j k q x z and almost no p and v . . .

All told not a huge amount you'd think but at that there is like 7% of the (English) letter frequency that gets little to no use.

I am sure this works and all. But the method seems to rely upon getting bursts of speed to average out the stumbling blocks each time one hits a letter that is less common or encounters a tricky set of letters without a quickie memorized fingering. My concern is fluency in all the keys so that I can forget them and just write. (I'd rather be slower but never doubt a key if that makes sense.)

I will of course continue to work the common words as you have advised. I will move from 20 to 30 WPM after I attain 99% accuracy on the first six lessons. I expect to be trying for 30 tomorrow.

Thank you for the assistance. :)

(As a note without trying I chose words with every letter that I mentioned but z.)

Last edited by Harper_Jayne (06-Feb-2012 09:31:35)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

After learning individual keys you will gradually learn to type frequent bigram and trigram combinations with fast speed, then in real typing you automatically divide and conquer each word. The faster you divide the word, the quicker you can type.

The next level of typing is when you consciously realize which keys/words need more attention and type them slowly in order to maintain overall accuracy.

Last edited by Tony_VN (06-Feb-2012 09:35:19)

This is contrary to what Nimbo is saying though. He is saying that the combinations are what his method focuses on. In addition, nothing should be conscious about typing. If touch typing requires thought it is pointless.

I had about 99% accuracy before. I did nothing conscious. I simply let my fingers go. I usually did a typo sweep upon re-reading. I had almost nothing to correct.

So I get that the patterns you type matter. But I see no point at which conscious thought is desirable.

I am at 99% at 20+WPM on the lessons noted. I will move to 30WPM tomorrow.

Last edited by Harper_Jayne (06-Feb-2012 10:28:15)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

Harper_Jayne said:

How do you manage to learn the full layouts then? 30-50 words is maybe 6 lessons. So many letters are not in those lessons.

Oh I made a typo and was reckless here it should be 130-150. And to be more exact here what I usually type in the beginning until I reach 25-30WPM, then I add my own lessons, mavis beacon, and typing Instructor platinum lessons and games in case I get bored and to work on the dictation part.

"the of to and a in is it you that he was for on are with as I his they be at one have this from or had by hot word but what some we can out other were all there when up use your how said an each she which do their time if will way about many then them write would like so these her long make thing see him two has look more day could go come did number sound no most people my over know water than call first who may down side been now find any new work part take get place made live where after back little only round man year came show every good me give our under name very through just form sentence great think say help low line differ turn cause much mean before move right boy old too same tell does set three want air well also play small end put home read hand "

so the only thing that you will not type in the beginning is qxz. It would be really foolish to leave 'p' and 'g' untrained :).

Here what you should get out of Ampehetype
"
the of to the of to the of to and a in and a in and a in is it you is it you is it you that he was that he was that he was

for on are for on are for on are with as I with as I with as I his they be his they be his they be at one have at one have at one have

this from or this from or this from or had by hot had by hot had by hot word but what word but what word but what

some we can some we can some we can out other were out other were out other were all there when all there when all there when

up use your up use your up use your how said an how said an how said an each she which each she which each she which

do their time do their time do their time if will way if will way if will way about many then about many then about many then

them write would them write would them write would like so these like so these like so these her long make her long make her long make

thing see him thing see him thing see him two has look two has look two has look more day could more day could more day could

go come did go come did go come did number sound no number sound no number sound no most people my most people my most people my

over know water over know water over know water than call first than call first than call first who may down who may down who may down

side been now side been now side been now find any new find any new find any new work part take work part take work part take

get place made get place made get place made live where after live where after live where after back little only back little only back little only

round man year round man year round man year came show every came show every came show every good me give good me give good me give

our under name our under name our under name very through just very through just very through just form sentence great form sentence great form sentence great

think say help think say help think say help low line differ low line differ low line differ turn cause much turn cause much turn cause much

mean before move mean before move mean before move right boy old right boy old right boy old too same tell too same tell too same tell

does set three does set three does set three want air well want air well want air well also play small also play small also play small

end put home end put home end put home read hand read hand read hand

"

Great. This makes much more sense to me now. I will press on with the 20 WPM target for these lessons.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

I remember that after I reached 30 WPM on Colemak, I typed the sets below for 2 times and then I jumped to 35. These words I collected form noticing the errors I make on the layout, due to difficult combos. The lessons below(set1 -set6) are effective after 30 WPM. It would be boring to type them before but you can type the first one at this stage. If you want more lessons, you can try my 100+ lessons :

http://ifile.it/s75fu63
http://ifile.it/34pb0sn

You can past the contents of each file in RapidTyping tutor generated lesson files. Most of the lessons are optimized for my two layouts Imak and Dvomak, but they should work fine with colemak because they concentrate on common keys pairing

<item ID="21" Section="" Name="Commonly used" Text="th he an in er on re ed nd ha at en es of nt ea ti to io le is ou ar as be rt ve the and tha ent ion tio for nde has nce tis oft men ss ee tt ff ll of to in it is be as at so we he by or on do if me my up an go no us am the and for are but not you all any can had her was one our out day get has him his how man new now old see two way who boy did its let put say she too use that with have this will your from they know want been good much some time very when come here just like long make many more only over such take than them well were The of and to in a is that be it by are for was as he with on his at which but from has this will one have not were or all their an I there been many more so when had may today who would time we about after dollars if my other some them being its no only over very you into most than they day even made out first great must these can days every found general her here last new now people public said since still such through under up war well where while years before between country debts good him interest large like make our take upon what" />
<item ID="22" Section="Colemak" Name="Set 1" Text="people People asking answer answers are rare People asks questions that can't be answered weired really. People should find other alternatives people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers" />
<item ID="23" Section="Colemak" Name="Set 2" Text="laughs leisurely super know knew known just like everyone vacations productivity responsibility laughs only laughs leisurely super know knew known just like everyone vacations productivity responsibility laughs only laughs leisurely super know knew known just like everyone vacations productivity responsibility laughs only laughs leisurely super know knew known just like everyone vacations productivity responsibility laughs only" />
<item ID="24" Section="Colemak" Name="Set 3" Text="manifestations saints form television cheating that are than their wrongs is belief tragedy caterpillar butterfly anything reason all and of dead armadillos which other edged laugh more edged edged than their edged form from edged edged their than form from edged edged from form than edged form their edged their edged theri edged from edged manifestations saints form television cheating that are than their wrongs is belief tragedy caterpillar butterfly anything reason all and of dead armadillos which other edged laugh more edged edged than their edged form from edged edged their than form from edged edged from form than edged form their edged their edged theri edged from edged manifestations saints form television cheating that are than their wrongs is belief tragedy caterpillar butterfly anything reason all and of dead armadillos which other edged laugh more edged edged than their edged form from edged edged their than form from edged edged from form than edged form their edged their edged theri edged from edged manifestations saints form television cheating that are than their wrongs is belief tragedy caterpillar butterfly anything reason all and of dead armadillos which other edged laugh more edged edged than their edged form from edged edged their than form from edged edged from form than edged form their edged their edged theri edged from edged" />
<item ID="25" Section="Colemak" Name="Set 4" Text="report birds sang that Satire stupid itching hopeful permanent was can understanding disappoint good obscenity may revenge matrimony like science multiplication sometimes entangled it's lucky going increased help oatmeal more disguised temptation knock overrated controls I'm engineers begin engineers report birds sang that Satire stupid itching hopeful permanent was can understanding disappoint good obscenity may revenge matrimony like science multiplication sometimes entangled it's lucky going increased help oatmeal more disguised temptation knock overrated controls I'm engineers begin engineers report birds sang that Satire stupid itching hopeful permanent was can understanding disappoint good obscenity may revenge matrimony like science multiplication sometimes entangled it's lucky going increased help oatmeal more disguised temptation knock overrated controls I'm engineers begin engineers report birds sang that Satire stupid itching hopeful permanent was can understanding disappoint good obscenity may revenge matrimony like science multiplication sometimes entangled it's lucky going increased help oatmeal more disguised temptation knock overrated controls I'm engineers begin engineers report birds sang that Satire stupid itching hopeful permanent was can understanding disappoint good obscenity may revenge matrimony like science multiplication sometimes entangled it's lucky going increased help oatmeal more disguised temptation knock overrated controls I'm engineers begin engineers" />
<item ID="26" Section="Colemak" Name="Set 5" Text="didn't sleep speaker's stop saw light bulb determine logic drag you've test planning worth hawk disagree is mean ness Romeo restless cause said incredible knows enjoy stone enjoy pig blind pig except justifiable Missouri pistols, replace didn't sleep speaker's stop saw light bulb determine logic drag you've test planning worth hawk disagree is mean ness Romeo restless cause said incredible knows enjoy stone enjoy pig blind pig except justifiable Missouri pistols, replace didn't sleep speaker's stop saw light bulb determine logic drag you've test planning worth hawk disagree is mean ness Romeo restless cause said incredible knows enjoy stone enjoy pig blind pig except justifiable Missouri pistols, replace didn't sleep speaker's stop saw light bulb determine logic drag you've test planning worth hawk disagree is mean ness Romeo restless cause said incredible knows enjoy stone enjoy pig blind pig except justifiable Missouri pistols, replace saw enjoy pig saw enjoy pig enjoy saw pig enjoy pig saw enjoy pig saw enjoy pig saw enjoy pig enjoy saw " />

I will be honest. I cannot manage: think say help think say help think say help low line differ low line differ low line differ turn cause much turn cause much turn cause much . . .

I am feeling like I have simply too much time on qwerty to switch layouts. Over three decades seems like too big a burden. I'm not as young and flexible as I was. I have literally never been more angry than I am right now at trying to learn something new.

Kudos to those of you who can get to 30, 40, etc. in such short periods of time. I am cold turkey and devoting many hours every day to pure practice and on top of that I am doing normal email and such. I am still pathetically slow and inaccurate. I am tied to the layout printout because the second I stop thinking I type qwerty.

I am starting to think pain is better than constant frustration.

10 days is supposedly the point at which one should try to make it. I will stick this out until then. If I am this angry on Friday I am going back to qwerty.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

It took me 21 attempts to get 20/99 on that exercise. That doesn't count the many restarts . . .

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

At the moment I have a two minute test score of 16 WPM so I am going to start with 25 as my new target tomorrow.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

It's perfectly normal and acceptable to feel exasperated and confused in the first weeks of switching process. Only after 3 weeks you can gain confidence on any new layout, that kind of confidence will make you persist.

The day of not switching back to Qwerty is Day 20. Until then, read our experience here in this forum to give you the much needed confidence to go through.

For you it's mentally and physically tougher since you have to learn touch typing as well, i.e. hand positioning and use your ring fingers and pinkies more than before.

Today is only your Day 7. Looking back, on that day I only typed 22wpm with 95% accuracy. So you are doing fine.

For first weeks you can expect 2-3pm speed gain in a day. After a year I only expect 1pm speed gain in two months!

Last edited by Tony_VN (07-Feb-2012 09:25:32)

I usually when I apply my method go cold turkey, and normally the first time one switches is the hardest but if you switch again you will notice it is much easier. I think the problem with you as tony said is that you are not only trying to learn a new layout but you are also trying to learn touch typing.

If you get frustrated you can take it steppe by steppe and preserve QWERTY, by practicing Colemak only one hour a day. This will take you around a 2-3 months to get a decent speed on Colemak and for your mind to adapt to using 2 layouts. I was able to maintain two layouts one at 55 WMP and the other at 70WPM. At that time when I started to practice the new layout I got frustrated, because it was difficult for my mind to switch, but then I found if I typed for one hour and then have a break for 15 minutes and go back and chat using my old layout then I would still remember the old layout my brain started to adapt every day to this. This was hard in the first 3 weeks but I stayed persistent because I know other people who have done it.

Try also to incorporate programs like mavis beacon 17 Delux ( do not use 20 its buggy) and Typing instructor platinum, for learning proper touch typing and to play funny games. Finally to increase your hands flexibility you can do yoga for hands and stretches :)

Harper_Jayne said:

It took me 21 attempts to get 20/99 on that exercise. That doesn't count the many restarts . . .

Do not be surprised, I remember I had to type a line for like half an hour. You will notice after you sleep and the next day you walk up that your mind and hands have digested that line and it will become easier the next day.

Harper: Don't be impatient now, and you WILL thank yourself later for it! If you compare yourself with a handful of people who got amazing results quickly, you will likely lose but is that the wise thing to do? People like Nimbostratue have changed layout many times and naturally they're extremely good at it by now. The vast majority of newcomers have a fairly slow progress and what determines their success rate isn't aptitude but determination.

Just hang in there, it'll get better soon. ;)

Oh yeah: Nimbo is right - you need to practice in intervals. Chipping away at something for hours just makes you frustrated. You can practice for up to an hour, and then do something else and let the unconscious mind do its thing. Sleep is an important part of learning so make sure you sleep well too!

If you do feel that it's too hard and frustrating to learn Colemak right now, maybe I could tempt you with the Tarmak (Transitional Colemak) learning layouts? They allow you to learn 3-4 keys at a time until you have a full Colemak layout! Obviously, you won't unlock the full power of the improved layout right away but it'll make for smoother sailing according to at least one satisfied customer and the transition steps have been designed to optimize the most important keys first so you should benefit from the get-go. Interested?

See my signature, or just this link.

Last edited by DreymaR (07-Feb-2012 11:50:40)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I take frequent breaks. No more than an hour or so of practice before I take a breather and let myself relax a while. I then come back to it later on.

As for sleep I wish I was sleeping now but I am apparently awake. :)

I will keep at it. I just really hope I can find the right keys soon.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

I want to add these steps, which I did not describe in my technique. although I recommended typing the first 130-150 lines, I still do not type them line after line. I tend to give the most common words a larger share for typing. In fact most of the time I type the first 4-6 lines and after I pass the threshold, I go back again from the beginning with the same threshold set and type them, then I go back again and type them (around 3-5 times) to make sure that the muscle memory has been trained well for these. The last time I continue till the 10th line and I start again from the beginning as described above and when I am done I add extra 5 lines.

Another thing which I do very often when I am typing a line like this :

" does set three does set three does set three want air well want air well want air well also play small also play small also play small"

is that if I found I am making error in  difficult words such as play and also and I am unable to pass my threshold because these words are delaying me then   it would be not much effective to type the line all the time, so inside the typing tutor I start typing something like below until I develop the correct muscle pattern. You will feel it when you start typing the words with minimal thinking

play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play playplay play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play playplay play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play playplay play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play play
also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also  also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also also

play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also play also

I hope this will help you!!

Thanks, Nimbo, for all these lesson suggestions! But may I make a posting suggestion for them? In my mind it'd be easier to see and then copy those lessons if you post them inside bracketed code tags! You know, like this:

Some common words:

the of to and a in is it you that he was for on are with as I his they be at one have this from or had by hot word but what some we can out other were all there when up use your how said an each she which do their time if will way about many then them write would like so these her long make thing see him two has look more day could go come did number sound no most people my over know water than call first who may down side been now find any new work part take get place made live where after back little only round man year came show every good me give our under name very through just form sentence great think say help low line differ turn cause much mean before move right boy old too same tell does set three want air well also play small end put home read hand

L24(?):

on nuclear rubble die you've my chew suicide Hollywood happiness instruments themselves searchings by coincidence vacuum friendships superiority plan evicted court: morning woke nice sharp elvis he die ie ie wants  humbly today you'd on nuclear rubble die you've my chew suicide Hollywood happiness instruments themselves searchings by coincidence vacuum friendships superiority plan evicted court: morning woke nice sharp elvis he die ie ie wants  humbly today you'd on nuclear rubble die you've my chew suicide Hollywood happiness instruments themselves searchings by coincidence vacuum friendships superiority plan evicted court: morning woke nice sharp elvis he die ie ie wants  humbly today you'd on nuclear rubble die you've my chew suicide Hollywood happiness instruments themselves searchings by coincidence vacuum friendships superiority plan evicted court: morning woke nice sharp elvis he die ie ie wants  humbly today you'd

RapidTyping lessons:

<item ID="21" Section="" Name="Commonly used" Text="th he an in er on re ed nd ha at en es of nt ea ti to io le is ou ar as be rt ve the and tha ent ion tio for nde has nce tis oft men ss ee tt ff ll of to in it is be as at so we he by or on do if me my up an go no us am the and for are but not you all any can had her was one our out day get has him his how man new now old see two way who boy did its let put say she too use that with have this will your from they know want been good much some time very when come here just like long make many more only over such take than them well were The of and to in a is that be it by are for was as he with on his at which but from has this will one have not were or all their an I there been many more so when had may today who would time we about after dollars if my other some them being its no only over very you into most than they day even made out first great must these can days every found general her here last new now people public said since still such through under up war well where while years before between country debts good him interest large like make our take upon what" />
<item ID="22" Section="Colemak" Name="Set 1" Text="people People asking answer answers are rare People asks questions that can't be answered weired really. People should find other alternatives people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers people People asking answer answers" />
<item ID="23" Section="Colemak" Name="Set 2" Text="laughs leisurely super know knew known just like everyone vacations productivity responsibility laughs only laughs leisurely super know knew known just like everyone vacations productivity responsibility laughs only laughs leisurely super know knew known just like everyone vacations productivity responsibility laughs only laughs leisurely super know knew known just like everyone vacations productivity responsibility laughs only" />
<item ID="24" Section="Colemak" Name="Set 3" Text="manifestations saints form television cheating that are than their wrongs is belief tragedy caterpillar butterfly anything reason all and of dead armadillos which other edged laugh more edged edged than their edged form from edged edged their than form from edged edged from form than edged form their edged their edged theri edged from edged manifestations saints form television cheating that are than their wrongs is belief tragedy caterpillar butterfly anything reason all and of dead armadillos which other edged laugh more edged edged than their edged form from edged edged their than form from edged edged from form than edged form their edged their edged theri edged from edged manifestations saints form television cheating that are than their wrongs is belief tragedy caterpillar butterfly anything reason all and of dead armadillos which other edged laugh more edged edged than their edged form from edged edged their than form from edged edged from form than edged form their edged their edged theri edged from edged manifestations saints form television cheating that are than their wrongs is belief tragedy caterpillar butterfly anything reason all and of dead armadillos which other edged laugh more edged edged than their edged form from edged edged their than form from edged edged from form than edged form their edged their edged theri edged from edged" />
<item ID="25" Section="Colemak" Name="Set 4" Text="report birds sang that Satire stupid itching hopeful permanent was can understanding disappoint good obscenity may revenge matrimony like science multiplication sometimes entangled it's lucky going increased help oatmeal more disguised temptation knock overrated controls I'm engineers begin engineers report birds sang that Satire stupid itching hopeful permanent was can understanding disappoint good obscenity may revenge matrimony like science multiplication sometimes entangled it's lucky going increased help oatmeal more disguised temptation knock overrated controls I'm engineers begin engineers report birds sang that Satire stupid itching hopeful permanent was can understanding disappoint good obscenity may revenge matrimony like science multiplication sometimes entangled it's lucky going increased help oatmeal more disguised temptation knock overrated controls I'm engineers begin engineers report birds sang that Satire stupid itching hopeful permanent was can understanding disappoint good obscenity may revenge matrimony like science multiplication sometimes entangled it's lucky going increased help oatmeal more disguised temptation knock overrated controls I'm engineers begin engineers report birds sang that Satire stupid itching hopeful permanent was can understanding disappoint good obscenity may revenge matrimony like science multiplication sometimes entangled it's lucky going increased help oatmeal more disguised temptation knock overrated controls I'm engineers begin engineers" />
<item ID="26" Section="Colemak" Name="Set 5" Text="didn't sleep speaker's stop saw light bulb determine logic drag you've test planning worth hawk disagree is mean ness Romeo restless cause said incredible knows enjoy stone enjoy pig blind pig except justifiable Missouri pistols, replace didn't sleep speaker's stop saw light bulb determine logic drag you've test planning worth hawk disagree is mean ness Romeo restless cause said incredible knows enjoy stone enjoy pig blind pig except justifiable Missouri pistols, replace didn't sleep speaker's stop saw light bulb determine logic drag you've test planning worth hawk disagree is mean ness Romeo restless cause said incredible knows enjoy stone enjoy pig blind pig except justifiable Missouri pistols, replace didn't sleep speaker's stop saw light bulb determine logic drag you've test planning worth hawk disagree is mean ness Romeo restless cause said incredible knows enjoy stone enjoy pig blind pig except justifiable Missouri pistols, replace saw enjoy pig saw enjoy pig enjoy saw pig enjoy pig saw enjoy pig saw enjoy pig saw enjoy pig enjoy saw " />

[edit: Ugh no, not easier to copy it after all? This forum doesn't seem to have a copy code functionality. Argh, maybe I'm just doddling then... However, if you click the start, move the handle all the way to the right and finally shift-click the end of the code text you can copy it all. Fairly easy, if not entirely intuitive.]

Last edited by DreymaR (07-Feb-2012 14:42:24)

@Harper: Did you check out the Tarmak yet? Might it be easier for you?

If I may add something, DreymaR, I don't think Tarmak would be very beneficial for Harper, since he doesn't know how to touch type qwerty. So on top of what he's learnt so far of Colemak, add parts of Qwerty (in a way he's never typed before) and then after a while transition to Colemak.. Not sure. I'm thinking the first time you learn touch typing, switching keys isn't very good idea.

The best I'd suggest you, Harper, is to keep it up. Take these guys' advices, remember to take breaks. When you get frustrated, try changing the typing program, website or game. Changing layouts and learning touch typing is fairly frustrating thing to do since you feel like on hold of your daily activities and work, but it really is like everyone is saying – it pays off.

That is indeed why I did not look very far into it. With my need to switch to a proper typing method I will not benefit much from a transitional layout.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

DreymaR said:

Thanks, Nimbo, for all these lesson suggestions! But may I make a posting suggestion for them? In my mind it'd be easier to see and then copy those lessons if you post them inside bracketed code tags! You know, like this:

Indeed looks better. Hopefully  next time :).

BTW, what is this Tarmak thing? I tried to google it but could not find anything useful? Do you have useful link?

@Harper:
I can not really promise you any speed jumps with my method like 6-10 WPM a day as usually happens to me because you are not only learning a new layout but you are also learning to touch type and I think this will have some (unknown) impact on how much you will improve each day.

nimbostratue said:

BTW, what is this Tarmak thing? I tried to google it but could not find anything useful?

DreymaR said:

See my signature, or just this link.