• You are not logged in.

Harper's Colemak: The Ongoing Saga

• Started by Harper_Jayne
  • 92 Replies:

What is your speed today? Be patient until day 20 Harper, you can do it.

My speed today is Harper is not testing today. ;)

I will resume on Wednesday.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne
Creating brave new worlds, one word at a time . . .

Thanks, erw! ;)

Sorry, I'd forgotten that Harper didn't have touch skills beforehand. Learning touch AND Colemak at the same time is another reason why he shouldn't expect too rapid progress!!! It seems to me that most people will rise to a certain percentage of their QWERTY touch speed fairly quickly so there's a big element of generic and layout agnostic skill to your overall typing speed!

Last edited by DreymaR (08-Feb-2012 12:20:39)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Harper_Jayne said:

Second, I am having increased pain in my wrists as a result of an uptick in my daily typing, and I want to use a layout that will help combat that.

Have you seen a doctor about it? RSI is serious stuff.

Also you might want to think about other changes such as chair, desk, input devices, ...

Last edited by boli (08-Feb-2012 18:45:48)

I would see a doctor if I felt that the pain was too regular. As it stands now I am switching layouts to avoid any issues in the future.

As I said earlier, I will be getting a mechanical keyboard in the not-too-distant future. I have used a Trackman Marble for years as well.

Honestly, I am not worried. I am doing all the things I know I need to in order to care for myself.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

For the pains, you need to stretch and shake loose to better extremity circulation. Ideally, build up strength in the area as well - plenty of repetitions with light weights should do the trick. For the best results your should get a tailored training regime from a good ergophysiotherapist.

I appreciate the advice and concern but I think people are reading too much into the pain. I have had very infrequent episodes over the years and am taking steps to ensure my long-term health after the latest occurrence.

This is not at all an instance where I am in agony. I am just attempting to minimize my chances of having a need for treatment. One of the steps is making an immediate change to my typing layout and style.

Progress for today is the first six common words exercises at 25/99 complete. I am going to go do some work and see how bad I feel about the layout getting in the way of the words. Later I will do six more of the exercises.

(As a note: I have, for years, had the habit of moving and stretching while I work.)

Last edited by Harper_Jayne (08-Feb-2012 22:21:07)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

So I can tell you now how well writing is going.

I'm installing Dragon. :P

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

Second set of six at 25/99. Will move on to the third set tomorrow, and I will then do them starting at 30/99.

Typing tests are not much faster but I am starting to feel a bit more comfortable with the layout itself.

As noted I can't write (meaning do my job) yet. So I will be dictating for now.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

Harper_Jayne said:

Second set of six at 25/99. Will move on to the third set tomorrow, and I will then do them starting at 30/99.

Typing tests are not much faster but I am starting to feel a bit more comfortable with the layout itself.

As noted I can't write (meaning do my job) yet. So I will be dictating for now.

If you are typing the Colemak sets that I gave you, you should not aim for passing the set with a specific speed at this stage as they are some what difficult, just try to be accurate above 90%. You will benefit much more if you type the 6 sets around 3 times a day. When I learned Colemak, Some sets like the (io* oi*...) I could not go over 25WPM although I was typing on Colemak with average of 50WPM.

BTW, congratulation for reaching 25WPM, it is an achievement, especially that you are learning to touch type also :).

Harper_Jayne said:

I would see a doctor if I felt that the pain was too regular. As it stands now I am switching layouts to avoid any issues in the future.

Honestly, I am not worried. I am doing all the things I know I need to in order to care for myself.

OK good, it's just an easy thing to underestimate the gravity of, as I learned from a work buddy's story a couple years back.

Harper_Jayne said:

As I said earlier, I will be getting a mechanical keyboard in the not-too-distant future. I have used a Trackman Marble for years as well.

I've been using a Kinesis Advantage for the last couple of years and can very much recommend it. The TrulyErgonomic is a slightly cheaper, but still decent, alternative (I haven't yet thoroughly tested mine, but first impression was good).

If you're considering something like that there's ample info at the geekhack ergonomic designs subforum.
If you're not I'd have to ask: why not? Since writing is your livelihood (as it is for me, though I'm a software engineer) I figured the extra cost and familiarization period of an ergonomic keyboard is well worth it. :)

Last edited by boli (09-Feb-2012 09:15:16)

As much as I like using knowledge to improve my life, I can't see myself switching to an ergo keyboard. A good non-ergo mechanical offers advantages over membrane keyboards (which I have been using for too long) and I'll be getting one soon.

That's OK though. I use a Trackman (and have for like 15 years) and that alone cuts down on stress a lot. :)

(And no, Nimbo, those are the common word sets still. I will start on the other sets after I hit 30/99 on all 18 common words sets.)

Last edited by Harper_Jayne (09-Feb-2012 12:07:32)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

Now working on the common words sets at 30/99. I am breaking them down into three sets of six. I am done with the first set and will move on to the other two tonight.

I am planning to start work on the other lesson sets tomorrow. (As you say: at no minimum WPM, just typing them as accurately as I can manage.)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

Harper_Jayne said:

Now working on the common words sets at 30/99. I am breaking them down into three sets of six. I am done with the first set and will move on to the other two tonight.

I am planning to start work on the other lesson sets tomorrow. (As you say: at no minimum WPM, just typing them as accurately as I can manage.)

In my experience, typing real sentences is more beneficial than random words...I know that you need to build muscle memory for common words but more importantly you need to build "word pattern memory" meaning learning how words tumble into the next. If you are practicing random words like:

father book man has keep my made life light sometimes well play side at feet just off one does again sentence leave spell same live his cut back

you are not developing any word pattern memory because you rarely type those words in that sequence. You would be much better off typing out common word phrases.

Hang in there. Pretty soon you will be "rolling" along nicely with colemak.

Last edited by slowfingers (13-Feb-2012 03:00:16)

The point is muscle memory for the common words and their component letter combinations. Without any of that it is very hard to get any speed at all. As I type this I can feel myself typing the movements that I have practiced more quickly . . . the less common combos are much harder. If I had not done any of the work on the common words it would be worse.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

Harper_Jayne said:

The point is muscle memory for the common words and their component letter combinations. Without any of that it is very hard to get any speed at all. As I type this I can feel myself typing the movements that I have practiced more quickly . . . the less common combos are much harder. If I had not done any of the work on the common words it would be worse.

I hear ya...personally I tend to type faster with sentences than with common random words...because I get a better flow going. I made an effort to avoid spending too much time on random words for just this reason, and I think I benefited from that.

Last edited by slowfingers (13-Feb-2012 03:21:22)

Which makes sense because part of the point is isolating the fingering. It is also harder to type what is on the screen than what is in your own head for a lot of people. That does not mean it is not worth practicing.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

slowfingers said:

In my experience, typing real sentences is more beneficial than random words...

I really like it when people say in my experience, but the question here would be: what is your experience?. Have you been doing research on this topic for more than two years, have you learned more than 20 layouts and tested different methods to gain speed and reduce effort while learning them, like I did. Have you been trying to understand the physiology of the hand and how to make typing more fluid!!! If so then you would not have said that. The correct way to say it is that it is not enough to practice the common words, but they are extremely essential in the beginning to build muscle memory for common bigrams and common pattern. If you know how to type 'ea' 'ou' , ect.. quickly it would not be hard for you to type "eat", "heat", "beat". Bottom line here is that to learn to type effectively and fast,  in a shorter period of time then this is one of the most effective ways. As I recommend that after 25-30 WPM one should start to incorporated real life words, and that is what I have done in my lessons thread, but the focus was also to learn common words that has similar pattern to get the mind and hand used to it.

@Harper's: as you have notice that I have not included "." and "," in my lessons.There are two reasons:

1- Since this thread is for colemak, I supposed that most of the people are touch typist and they already know these two from qwerty
2- these two are really annoying to type and can increase hand pain because not only they are at the bottom row and require wrist movement, but also you have to hit space after them which puts the hand in awkward position, so in order to reduce the typing effort I tired not to incorporate these two.

Also I tried not to incorporate the shifts a lot as they are one of the most damaging keys on the wrists.

Since you are a new touch-typist and you probably would want to learn these, my advice is to play over typeracer as there are a lot of ". ," ,  and shifts there  and you do not feel bored typing these when you  are mainly concentrating on beating the opponent :), unless of course your hands started to ache :(.

I am doing fine with using the comma and period. I am a bit troubled by the right shift. I will be dealing with the other sets tomorrow as I am about done training on the common words.

Also I plan to try (and that is the operative word) to do some amount of work tomorrow. Hopefully that will go well.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

Of note: I'm in need of a reminder to use my contractions again. I've noticed that I stopped using them when I changed layouts.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

It will also help flow if you are looking ahead, and not just focusing on the word you are actually typing.

Last edited by slowfingers (13-Feb-2012 16:34:02)

But that may be hard in the beginning. Try it out but don't focus a lot on it if it doesn't work ;)

Honestly I am not at all interested in being quick with transcription. I'm a writer. I care about being able to fluidly lay down my stories. So all those things a competitive typist might want to focus on in order to test better are of little concern to me. :)

I have written a bit today and not felt compelled to turn on Dragon. So I am getting more comfortable, though not really much faster.

Last edited by Harper_Jayne (14-Feb-2012 00:47:09)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

I broke down and I am quitting Colemak use for work. I will see if I have any time left over to practice, but at this point I have lost so much time that I will need to completely ignore my family in order to catch up on my writing.

I think that the disadvantage of not being a touch typist was just too much in the end.

(I will still be using Colemak any time I post in this thread.)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

Hope you manage to hang in there for a better tomorrah! :)