• You are not logged in.

Programmer switching to Colemak

• Started by Tetrinity
  • 79 Replies:
DreymaR said:

That looks much better to me! Now, if you want to treat your left wrist to a boon, use the ZXCVB_ Angle mod and you can keep both your wrists straight!

If you worry about the right pinky, make that an AngleWide mod by all means! ;)

I use a mac at home and so the command button is a lot better than Ctrl... Thumb on Cmd and my four fingers do the rest. But on windows...
Wait.. I don't get it.. How does that angle mod make the wrists equal... everything seem more towards the right to me. The mouse is a bit of a stretch than what I prefer still. Even but typing is much easier. Much like when I was using Dvorak.

The Angle mod lets you treat your left wrist like you now treat your right wrist: Without ulnar deviation. Instead of having to twist inwards for ZXCV you just curve your fingers – the shorter reach to B is an added benefit.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I see... well I'm trying to keep the setup as standard as possible. Thanks. :)
http://julxrp.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/ … h-colemak/
Maybe I should get a tenkeyless or a laptop style keyboard to bring the mouse closer. But I do find the numpad very useful.

Twoddle said:

It's the right little finger that has to do a lot of work when programming, all those brackets and =+-;:/ symbols.

That is probably why in some cases Dvorak has the edge by sharing some of the punctuation in between both hands. But with that, the placement of some of the letters suffer.

Again, Wide mod – brackets on index fingers ftw. ;) Nah, sorry – just teasing now.

NumPad can be on the Extend layer so you don't really need a physical one. I don't have that in my PKL files but it's not hard to implement. I wanted multiple Extend layers in PKL but Farkas didn't bite. In XKB I've made it but I still need a dedicated modifier for it.

Last edited by DreymaR (29-Jan-2014 18:35:25)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***