• You are not logged in.

Colemak or Dvorak... Hard to choose...

• Started by knightjp
  • 205 Replies:
pinkyache said:

As for the punctuation, it's good for html!

I assume we're talking about < / >, in which case I'm not sure I'd agree.  [Qwerty] shift+w, shift+e (and, for that matter, shift+q for ") I don't find very comfortable one-handed; the reach is just so very long. If it's two-handed, you might as well move them to the right side and get the best of both shortcut worlds.

pinkyache said:

I'm relieved that there aren't letters there, as I fear my left hand couldn't rise to the challenge.

That's silly.  Qwerty w/e are practically home row (though it doesn't hurt to have an uncommon letter at qwerty q.)

Last edited by lalop (26-Jun-2013 02:32:49)
pinkyache said:

The words listed above (puppy et al,) involve same finger bigrams under Dvorak.  I'm not the biggest fan of the ps placement with Dvorak - though I think I might be able to change my fingering to make it more comfortable.   The other same finger bigrams - gh, ct, rn, ls don't feel that bad for me, it involves almost a drag downward of the finger for those.  Care seems to have been taken to avoid same finger around the middle column.  'Up' might be a little awkward on the left hand I'll grant you that, using the middle finger for p, might help there.  As for the punctuation, it's good for html!  I'm relieved that there aren't letters there, as I fear my left hand couldn't rise to the challenge.

Don't you mean ls? ps is rather easy on Dvorak. Almost like a reflex.
I never found any of those much of a problem when I was using Dvorak. There is pretty much a bit of same finger movement with Colemak as well when you look at certain words.
I don't know.. I'm tempted to go back to Dvorak when things keep acting up with Colemak. But I kinda like the placement of 'l' and the fact that all the shortcuts are so easy. I guess I need to give up easy, accurate and fast typing for that. :(
Can never have it all.

Yes, the comma and period have better placements on Dvorak. Too good, I think. If you go by frequencies at least, WF better deserve those excellent places.

lalop said:

Qwerty w/e are practically home row

I concur! :)

The other symbol keys are really up to the user, as Colemak only affects the letters plus semicolon/colon. Some will opt for keeping the symbol placements they're used to (bad though they may be), some will use the US ("Universal Symbol"! – hehe) placements like the standard Colemak install does. I've changed from Norwegian (QWERTY) symbol placements to the US ones and I'm very happy with that. But my Linux layouts let you choose. Others again will try to optimize for coding their favourite languages or whatever.

Last edited by DreymaR (26-Jun-2013 08:50:29)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

@knightjp, rather than 'ps' I meant the placement of the p!  Perhaps it should have been "p's" (damn apostrophes.)

@lalop, regarding html, at the end of the day having to shift for something is a bind (for me anyway).  I think (though it's hard to remember now) that it's marginally better than the bottom row placement.  I'm not really a fan of one handed chords (perhaps it's easier for you pianists).  I don't care for the one handed shortcuts.

Thinking about it, the obscure placement of the angle brackets probably hasn't helped anyone learn and write html.  For many they never will have a need so these character placements are moot.  If I was really bothered I'd probably be better swapping the number row for symbols.  The double quote doesn't move under UK Dvorak, so it's still crappy (SHIFT + 2).  But you can wrap your attributes in single quotes.

Perhaps the placement of , and . is a little too good.  Maybe the e should have stayed in it's qwerty spot.  I don't know.  I find the stagger difficult on the left hand side (and would even, with the mods).  That's why I'm not thrilled about the top row on the left hand, or the bottom row for that matter.  I find it a stupid physical bottle neck.

Last edited by pinkyache (26-Jun-2013 09:10:52)

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Yes, perhaps we pianists do have certain advantages including chords. Worth keeping in mind.

Using the Angle mod I find the stagger on the left side entirely pleasant! Without it, the bottom row is torture to me. It was only after I started using the Angle mod that I realized how bad it had been. I don't remember how the top row felt before but that too feels good now.

I didn't mod the top row because that feels right already. The 1/4 key stagger to the left is theoretically the wrong way but that's offset by the length of the middle and ring fingers which make the WF keys very easy to type. The Q is still bad but it doesn't have to be good. The P and G feel like a stretch but I guess there's no helping that.

This may be about how your home position really is? Mine has the middle and ring fingers resting at the gap between the home and top rows, so the index and pinky fingers rest squarely on their home keys. The wrists are straight and the hands themselves hover slightly when I'm not typing lazily. ;)

Now, I must confess that my reasons for staying on Dvorak are mainly personal. To me it is more or less just as good as Colemak, but I do like it for its punctuation, and the right hand keys. When the Co and Dv layouts come close to the same bottom row % like in the "Alice in Wonderland" example, where they are within less than a 1% point of each other- on Dvorak the majority of bottom row usage is all gonna be the right hand which I actually like, as when I am firing away on the right hand regardless of which row- I am going to be riding the momentum already created, resulting in a smoother right hand combo execution for me, since I am right handed and my right hand moves more deftly. This is important to keep in mind since as the Colemak bottom row is evenly displaced between both hands, the right hand in Dvorak is doing the majority of bottom row movement. For me even though the right hand is doing more work, it is still in a much much more ergonomic positioning than qwerty, so the comfort is still felt regardless of the slightly lopsided key displacement.
      Regardless, my advice is still to shoot for Colemak mastery, before attempting Dvorak. More times than not you are going to be more than satisfied with its layout and for new alt. layout users I recommend Co, and then after you've mastered it or whatever you can switch to Dv if you're bored with Qw and Co. In this year of 2013 there is no simpler choice, besides the fact that it is a hard choice to discover. I only recommend Dvorak if you are truly disdained with Qwerty and possibly even spiteful of it, which I think is gonna be rare as most people enjoy the hotkeys.

Before Dvorak I was typing Qwerty and trying to improve my speed. I was really disappointed with the difficulty of progress, and somehow stumbled upon Dvorak. Can't remember how, but after a couple days of deliberation, i switched my whole keyboard layout on my laptop. I then delayed any real practice for about a week until I got my Mavis beacon software. Since about ~9 days ago I haven't looked back. So honestly I've been practicing for about ~2 weeks really, first week was just being able to type up to 20WPM, only using the Dv layout for basic tasks because I forced myself. Now its about speed and accuracy as I am nearly ready to transition from 30wpm to 40wpm. I am considering switching to left thumb spacing to more evenly displace hand alternation, however right thumb spacing in Qwerty is more evenly displaced as the right hand does much less work in that layout, so maybe I will train my thumbs to be ambidextrous. And yes I am still going to maintain Qwerty layout just not as fast or important as Dvorak speed, but accuracy yes. As of now my Qwerty speed has dropped to ~15wpm from my original ~55wpm. But to hell with qwerty anyway! We can all agree on that together.
    Once again I must say that layout preference is personal, and it truly is a contest between trade offs. Which is awesome as there are now officially typing techniques. My aim is to become a blackbelt in Dvorak.

The big new factor in typing ergonomics since the days of August Dvorak is mousing. Some users get into right-hand trouble because of the extra load, especially on the pinky which has too many keys to handle. The Wide ergonomic mod alleviates that a little and may be used with Dvorak as well, and I've heard Dvorak users advocate left-handed mousing which also solves the problem of the NumPad bringing the mouse too far to the side.

All in all though, Colemak may be said to have a more updated hand load balance, but that may not be important to you of course. If you don't experience any right-hand problems, you don't. :)

I don't see the point in being "spiteful" of QWERTY. But I have no doubt some are...

Your conclusion pretty much sums it up. Whether you go with Dvorak or Colemak you'll be happy with it I'm sure. But since this is the Colemak forums and I'm a massive Colemak fan... go with Colemak! Not sure if we have cookies, but I at least have a Big Bag of Tricks? :D (Meaning: The Colemak user community seems more vibrant to me than the Dvorakistas these days – otherwise why would so many dvorakers hang around the Colemak forums at all? Just because of our winning personalities? Hardly...)

Last edited by DreymaR (26-Jun-2013 10:57:30)

I'll admit, that the only reason I'm sticking with Dvorak is because I found it before Colemak. Starting yet another layout after getting the hang of this one 2 weeks in is just too much for me, it was hard enough committing to anything new in the first place, plus I am going to have to get my qwerty back up to speed. I only just found this forum after discovering Colemak shortly after getting the hang of Dvorak.

Search "better layout than qwerty" on google, and you will see that colemak isn't even on the first page. If my first encounter with alt layouts had Colemak listed along Dvorak, I probably would have had alot more to consider, but ultimately would have gone with Co. The irony is that most of these links promoting Dvorak have been inactive for years. What the hell! But I am young and flexible, it was fun changing layout, and I may do it again. My goal is to reach 90-100wpm, ultimately. Pretty lofty, as I am a very average joe, but if i plateau too fast in Dvorak, i will definitely move on. I am not tied to any profession or anything. I have all the time in the world, for now....

Finding Colemak before Dvorak is the real issue in switching. I had no idea there were so many layouts until after researching Dvorak more and more- then more alts came up. Capewell, Workman, and Colemak. Then my eyes were really opened. Now I'm just happy that I've taken the leap into alt layouts. Thats really the biggest and hardest part of switching. For me, once you switch once, switching again is easier.

I don't know, I didn't enjoy the second switch much. Unlearning Dvorak felt like an unnecessary detour. But I'm glad I did it.

L8FAN said:

I'll admit, that the only reason I'm sticking with Dvorak is because I found it before Colemak.

I found Dvorak before Colemak too. I only switched before I was 100% with Dvorak is because I liked the way Colemak retained the shortcuts and added some more.

L8FAN said:

Regardless, my advice is still to shoot for Colemak mastery, before attempting Dvorak.

Once you've learned any of the optimized layouts, there's no real reason to switch to another aside from some huge preference issue like shortcuts.  It's a gigantic amount of work for, at best, marginal gain.

As for me, I used Dvorak for a day or two before realizing that most of the shortcuts were no longer one-handed, prompting me to search for alternatives.  As it turned out, Colemak had shortcuts even superior to QWERTY's, though you wouldn't know it from reading about it.  (Nor about tarmak - probably the biggest killer feature in the layout ecosystem, period.)  I'm not sure what to do about this scarcity of information.

Last edited by lalop (27-Jun-2013 08:40:37)

I'll admit that the only reason I'm trying to stick with Colemak right now is the shortcuts. But it gets so frustrating having used it for so long and I still can't type a single word properly without making a single mistake. I know where the letters are. Its there imprinted on my brain. Its just getting my fingers to follow suit that's the problem. My mind wants my index finger to move and its my pinky that does... SO FRUSTRATING..
I had the same problem with Dvorak but that was soon gone after a month of constant use. I don't see why after almost 3 - 4 months of constant Colemak, its not getting any easier.

I'll admit that the only reason I'm trying to stick with Colemak right now is the shortcuts. But it gets so frustrating having used it for so long and I still can't type a single word properly without making a single mistake. I know where the letters are. Its there imprinted on my brain. Its just getting my fingers to follow suit that's the problem. My mind wants my index finger to move and its my pinky that does... SO FRUSTRATING..
I had the same problem with Dvorak but that was soon gone after a month of constant use. I don't see why after almost 3 - 4 months of constant Colemak, its not getting any easier.

If I were to guess, I'd venture that it's your layout hopping that got you. I was frustrated too when I switched from Dvorak to Colemak, but I felt it was the right thing to do for me and eventually when I had forgotten most of Dvorak it all started feeling natural again.

Eventually when the dust settles, you may find that Colemak makes your life in a QWERTY world easier. I don't mind so much having to use the odd QWERTY keyboard now, and I remember how much more alien they felt when I was using Dvorak. Not just shortcut-wise either.

Some people seem to be able to hold a bunch of layouts in their motor memory at the same time, and they claim to learn them much faster than I could. Others struggle to learn a layout in a year or more. What constitutes a long time depends a lot on who you are and where you are mentally.

Also, from my piano practicing days I know that if you let errors settle they're hard to uproot. Maybe you've gotten some bad habits while learning Colemak? Try to stop completely sometimes when you make an error, and feel within yourself why you might've made that error and if that particular error happens a lot. For me, most of my errors these days are transpositions in which I type letters in the wrong sequence. I shouldn't think that these errors are heavily layout-related but I don't know for sure. And I notice that my state of mind plays in a lot.

My advice would be to not cultivate your frustration. Play typing games if they appeal to you, or just use Amphetype or similar tools to type away. After typing through a couple of books I felt wonderful and reveled in a newfound typing flow!

Last edited by DreymaR (27-Jun-2013 08:15:29)

knightjp said:

My mind wants my index finger to move and its my pinky that does...

If it's like Alien Hand Syndrome, then I'm not sure I'd really know what to do.  But I suspect it's simply a case of corrupted muscle memory, in which case you should refrain from using any muscle memory (or else it might entrench the corruption even more), and instead type deliberately, completely from your "brain imprint".  Back when we started learning, we had to think deliberately, where each key is, which finger should be used to reach it by stretching which way - you'll want to go back to those basics.  It doesn't sound any slower than what's happening right now, and at least you should get it right doing that.

Enough practice, and eventually you'll start to overwrite the old muscle memory and get back to an acceptable error rate.

Last edited by lalop (27-Jun-2013 08:31:07)

Yeah, maybe strictly rhythmic, mindful typing could be a good exercise to break some bad habits? Amphetype's somewhat oddly named "viscosity" stat is a measure of how evenly you type so you could use that while practicing.

Thanks for the advice.. I have not been hoping on layouts. I have been using Colemak all this while for the past 3 -4 months (at least). I've completely lost my Dvorak. The only layout imprinted in my brain is Colemak. Even QWERTY feels a bit strange these days. I'm only wondering if I made the right choice for me; even though I like the shortcuts.

One thing I do notice. I'm still learning Objective C. I notice that when I paste code into http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/, I notice that Dvorak comes out on top; well Programmer Dvorak and the Simplified Dvorak a very close second. But pasting normal english text Colemak comes out on top in most cases.
Programming is not part of my job. I only do it as something on the side. If I wanted to use a layout to make programming more easier, have I made the right decision in choosing Colemak?

My altgr layout consistently ranks #1 when plugging in programs (no huge surprise there, really).

I̶m̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ (edit: use this one instead) into KLA's configurations tab, then try plugging in your code.

You can probably get it even better by optimizing it for your favorite languages.  Objective C is most definitely not one of mine.

Last edited by lalop (03-Jul-2013 20:39:21)

Either Colemak or Dvorak would be fine for typing, but Colemak is definitely better since it has more common keys with Qwerty, so you only have to learn the rest.

And the hotkeys are the last straw.

For programming, the letter layout shouldn't matter a lot. AltGr/lv3-4 mappings like Lalop uses matter for bracket placement and other useful symbols, and to me the Extend mappings (see my sig topics) are very important when coding!

I advocate a modular approach to layouts: Letters, symbol keys, modifiers, mapping levels.

Once again Tony_VN chimes in with his definitives!

@knightjp, sounds like some good advice listed in this thread. Perhaps you're trying to run before you can walk?

Try typing exercises: doing rows, or blocks of letters at a time.  And try some physical finger exercises.

I found touch typing hard going to begin with, for me it was quite alien.  It took a fair while to get used to.  I have good and bad days.  The cold plays havoc with my fingers too (the summers are easier).

Dvorak can be annoying for programming as the right pinky gets all the brackets and other symbols.  If you are serious about programming, then you might be better investing in editor shortcuts and/or using extend layers and perhaps the wide mod (See: Dreymar's big bag of tricks ™).

For me the best gains have come not neccessarily from raw code entry, but finding it easier to use IRC, write emails and forum posts.  Commenting code has also become less of a chore.

Last edited by pinkyache (29-Jun-2013 12:23:45)

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Update from above: Fixed some of the behavior of the comparision KLA layout (it was using the number row symbols rather than the AltGr ones, as well as vastly overestimating the AltGr distance) for even further improvements.

https://raw.github.com/lalopmak/keyboar … omparision

The tldr (as Dreymar hinted) is that modifier mappings (e.g AltGr, Shift) beat default mappings when it comes to special symbols*.  The latter have to contend with the usual keys as well.  So just pick the letter and special symbol layout separately.

*Not necessarily common symbols like comma, period.

Last edited by lalop (30-Jun-2013 01:09:36)

@pinkyache - If Dvorak isn't any better for programming, then I'd say that these pics are bogus...

FluxBB bbcode test
FluxBB bbcode test

I guess if you are going to get into programming there is no real standard layout that will be better than others. And if you are an seasoned user, there is no better layout than Colemak. Just wish it was standard on Windows like it is on my mac at home. Then I won't have to worry when the company will issue me new system later this year. I don't want to have the IT dept always to have to install it every time they hand me a new system. With Dvorak that's one thing I don't have to worry about.

Last edited by knightjp (28-Jun-2013 08:06:20)

Sure, for that code snippet (and likely for most code) Dvorak probably has an edge; as I've mentioned it pampers the period and comma beyond what normal text probably warrants for instance.

What I'm getting at is that as a coder that won't be the most important issue. Good hotkeys (and again I recommend an Extend layer!) and other tools will matter more whether you're on Dvorak or Colemak. The majority of key presses will be navigation and editing anyway.

Last edited by DreymaR (28-Jun-2013 13:06:29)

@knightjp:
Keyboard layout analyser is useless when you feed code into it.

1. Some analysis show, that less than 50% commands issued to your editor are data insert commands.
2. No one in the real word writes all his code by hand, I'm programming in Java, not C. There are tens of code snippets I use daily, the simplest inserts a call to logger when I type "log<tab>", the most complicated instances a JAXB Marshaller. This saves me from typing a lot of my parenthesis and curly braces.
3. IntelliSense like features of modern IDEs allow you to start to type method name, and when you chose a suggestion fill method parameters for you, if there is only one object of this type in range. Once more, there is no need to type parenthesis, commas or closing semicolon.